What's happening today 2020

For sure one that needs to be grafted over and saved at least to another tree from the sounds of it!

Oh my, I would roll my windows down to see if I could smell them. Could you smell them or is there no scent to them?

1 Like

While putting away garbage & recycling cans today, I visited all the little apple trees. Hunt Russet is already swelling buds; the only one. This is typical, although it takes it twice as long as the others to actually open.
Some of the ground is still frozen. I hope to soon get raspberry vines and spreading roots torn out the ground near Hunt, & compost/mulch it out 4 feet, so it gains size this year. Lord willing, I’ll graft Hunt to another this spring: need more of its fruit and scions to spread to you all!

1 Like

They smell nice but the scent is not strong, you probably would not feel it from distance if there were not so many trees blooming at once.

3 Likes

Methley and Satsuma plums think it’s Spring. No. No. No, guys! Go back to sleep!
image image

5 Likes

5 Likes

Ours finished this past week. Early for France too!

1 Like

Picked up my first box of Garriguette strawberries this morning for breakfast! These are always the first strawberries to come into the fresh markets in Spring. I’m just not used to having Spring in February! These are for you Drew!CD39F75A-3E8C-4F2C-AA78-C0F2AF105CF1

14 Likes

Beautiful! Mine won’t be ripe until at least the middle of May. I love this variety’s fragrance and flavor.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like them! This was meant for Drew51. I think thats right?

1 Like

never heard of these? i have mara des bois and several red and yellow alpines i grew from seed as well as other commercial varieties. very tasty!

Haha I wasn’t sure because I grow this variety too!

1 Like

Not only are they sweet in February they are a large strawberry!!! How great that you know them!

Moose, these are the first strawberries to hatch in the spring in France. They are elongated, which makes them very different, that and sweetness. Our sun, when it is out if very strong ang hot here even in Feb. 76 yesterday! Xxoo Mrs. G

2 Likes

They are very nice indeed. Here are some I harvested last May. The shape is indeed very unique. Are they naturally this early where you live now or are they grown in a greenhouse-like environment to induce earlier fruiting? @mrsg47

5 Likes

No they are grown outdoors. Just amazing to me coming from growing conditions in RI!

2 Likes

Andrew, where did you find the plants for this variety? I’m always looking for a different better flavored strawberry.

Hi there. I looked through my email and I got them through Legendarystrawberries.com in 2017. I’m not sure if this website is still active though.

1 Like

Better looking than Sherry’s Berries by far!

2 Likes

The plants and seeds are very hard to come by in the US. There was one grower who had some seeds, but no longer does. Hang onto your plants!