What's Happening Today 2021

Food Lion had a new apple variety that I’ve never seen before. And BOY are they great.
I just took a photo. They are mega-flavorful . . . crisp (obviously) . . . and sweet and tart at the same time. I liked them so much, that I went back the next day and bought more. They are pricey . . . $3.29/lb if I recall. But a great apple. Has anybody else seen those?
IMG_1889

4 Likes

@PomGranny I can see just enough to tell that its Cosmic Crisp. It has the most hype of any apple ever, before it even arrived. WA planted millions of them, sure that it would be a success.

3 Likes

I’d rather have a tree ripened Honeycrisp, Fuji…maybe even a Red Delicious…at least the old Hawkeye Delicious.

3 Likes

OK . . . take those . . . but leave me the Cosmic Crisp! LOL

4 Likes

The big freeze is over and back out they go. Beets, collared greens, and and my Fukushu kumquat tree in its 30 gallon container

Foam rubber on top of Fukushu kumquat tree for cold.

Foam removed showing 2 of the 3 CFL bulbs used for light and heat.

5 Likes

Steve, do you own a fork truck? Pretty healthy, good looking tree, especially this time of the year .

No Lift device. If you look at the top picture to the right of the tree you can see the plank I slide the tree up into the house. The pot has a pull handle at the bottom of the same picture.

Just pull on the handle and the plastic pot slides very nicely up the plank. It weighs about 100 pounds.

2 Likes

Tried these for the first time this year also. $1.49 here in Illinois not to impressed with the first one let them sit for a couple of weeks, better but wouldn’t trade a Honey Crisp for one.

Thanks for sharing this info. Next time I go for grocery shopping i will look for this apple. Everyone has hos/her own taste. I I will try it to know if I like it or not

Finally pruned my one and only Apricot, Rouge de Roussillion and by gosh, its alive! I was shocked. It was plagued with canker this summer and made it as did my Mirabelle de Nancy. All are in great shape! Looking forward to fruit my second year on third leaf trees. Life is great! The woman who makes my curtains is making me tulle bags for my trees for summer protection from birds, with drawstring bottoms. 10 dollars a bag. Fine! I can also spray right through the bags if necessary. Will take pictures when they are ready!

2 Likes

The Cosmic Crisps that I bought at Food Lion were large, very firm - bright color. Like I said, They Were Great. Then I happened to be at a Lidyl and they had some apples labeled Cosmic Crisp, as well. They were smaller, dull in color, about the same price as the beautiful ones at Food Lion. I bought a couple to see if they compared . . .
NO WAY! Like two completely different apples. So, maybe the ones you had were of the same ilk as my Lidyl ones. Disappointing.

2 Likes

I worked on removing my old cement block retaining wall and combining the wall as my final outer spiral of my herb spiral. Currently my honeyjar jujube is planted in the bottom spiral. I am debating whether to dig around it and raise it about 12 inches to increase the height of the spiral, leave it as is while partially burying it in soil and try to get it to root above the graft, or leave it as is with a lower than preferred final spiral height. Does anyone have any input?

2 Likes

The bagged ones at Giant Eagle by me were smaller and the “pick your own” stand had significantly larger Cosmic Crisp. I imagine the bigger ones taste better here too, but I’ve only purchased the bags and I thought they were pretty good.

There is new apple on the market called Evercrisp which is hybrid of Fuji and honey crispy. It is also very crispand sweet

4 Likes

Yep…haven’t seen any in markets here in KY this fall/winter…but 2 or 3 years ago bought some at Walmart.
I like Fuji, so it’s not surprising I like Evercrisp.
But, it’s one of those restricted apples, you need a membership to grow or propagate I think.
Someone else can better explain that.

But, I’d rather have it than some of the more highly hyped new apples.

It’s a pretty dense/heavy apple…not as crispy as Honeycrisp by any means. I expect it probably would keep for much of the winter in a cool basement or crisper.

If I could, I’d graft a limb to my ‘Frankentree’. Or, If I had a vile of it’s pollen, I’d use it for some
experimental crosses I am trying.

1 Like

Exactly what happened to me. Seems like a mixed bag of them out there. When you find the right ones, they are very good.

1 Like

Haven’t seen that one here, yet. I’m always on the lookout for different apples. I like them really crisp - and a bit tart. I don’t buy bags anymore. I buy one or two - and then go back and pick up more, but only if they are really good. So many are good one time - and then crummy the next. I got tired of ‘being burned’.

2 Likes

My apple preferences coincide with yours BlueBerry! I love Fuji, Evercrisp and Red Delicious (the good ones, not the junky supermarket ones). I also tried Cosmic Crisp from Whole Foods, they were the big, higher quality ones, and while they were crisp, I didn’t find their flavor interesting enough for me.

1 Like

Well, I snipped scions from old pear trees and old apple trees today…
so I’ll have new stuff to ‘play’ with.

1 Like

Dropping down to 19F tonight so my citrus trees come in.

3 Likes