What's something you'll never grow (or never grow again)?

Pawpaw tastes good in ice cream, but one good pawpaw a year is all I need. This is not my flavor.
Figs do not travel well fresh. The types I like and grow are amazing fresh or frozen. Some I dry, not a Mission fig flavor but good. I have lots of a few type plants, they are easy to grow. People who collect I don’t get either.

2 Likes

I think It’s about the variety of flavors you can get from a fruit that is so easy to propagate and grow. It’s also a fruit that is quite adaptable to containers, and not to mention store bought figs compared to homegrown are night and day. I get what you mean though.

3 Likes

It is not considered as bad as walnuts but will still have the same affect. Walnuts, pecans, hickories, butternut and anything else in the family will excrete jugalone. Here is a article on it Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin.

1 Like

Steve, Why not gooseberries and blueberries?

2 Likes

Goose berries are low producer of fruit an high producers of THORNS. Blueberries need a constant supply of acid and in general grow poorly. I have 7 plants of 15 left and I get at most a pint of berries a year.

1 Like

Plus, a lot of things are grafted to black walnut. I think butternut or pecan may be, English walnut (Juglans regia) definitely is. People think they have a lower-juglone tree, but don’t realize.

1 Like

Im embarrassed to say it, but i just learned this winter that you can make a very nice syrup from tapping Walnut trees.

The black walnut has the syrup trait. The issue is the nuts are much harder to harvest than English walnuts. You can run over a car and the car won’t crack a black walnut. Also black walnuts are pretty nasty to open. They will stain your hands bad. The way most people get to the seed of black walnuts is they use their shoe. If you want syrup I just saw look at certain maple trees. As far as your garden goes I don’t think you have to plan around a maple tree but if you plan to get a walnut tree you have to plan around it.

1 Like

I’m not doing it to save money either, I bet I’ve invested thousands of dollars over the years to grow hundreds of dollars worth of fruit!

Potatoes just really stuck with me, because it’s a lot of backbreaking work to dig them up with a shovel and a bucket. Tree fruits are at lease fun to pick and tasty off the tree.

3 Likes

Figs have to be potted in my climate and so they’re a lot of work, but to me they are worth it. I only have a couple very common varieties but when perfectly ripe off the tree they are incredible. Fig season is something I look forward to all year.

Since the wife and kids discovered how good they are, my 5 plants aren’t nearly enough and I’ll be adding more this year.

As for pawpaws, I’ve got 4 trees and maybe eat one fruit per year. They’re cool trees but the fruit just isn’t that great, more of a novely than anything.

4 Likes

I think I’ll give Pomegranates a pass.They’re too vulnerable to rot from the Southeastern humidity. We have hardy varieties, but the pruning and spraying isn’t worth it to get a single digit fruit yield. If the university of Florida succeeds in breeding rot resistant varieties, then I’ll try again.

I agree with someone else who stated seedlings. By the time I add up grafting supplies, budwood, tape, pots, soil, and the time to grow the seedling out, I would have done a lot better buying the improved varieties, even up to $85 or $100 a tree.

3 Likes

If I had more than just the one tree, I would definitely tap for syrup. I don’t have a forest, but the squirrel does his best.

2 Likes

Can’t you top work those established seedling trees to better varieties?

1 Like

No Whey to much work and an infinite number of “rootstock” suckers.

1 Like

@chriso

You can for some things but when it is a bush like a goumi, they grow multiple shots from the ground so it wouldn’t be practical to top work. I’ve done that for fruit trees.

3 Likes

@SnacksFromPlants how did your trial of Kreibich nectarine go.

1 Like

@krismoriah — not everyone goes variety nuts over figs… I have had just 1 since 2020 and man we love it. A real treat that produces absolutely delicious fruit… for close to 3 months. We get 300-400 figs off our one tree.

When I rank the most delicious things I grow… Figs and Persimmons are at the top of the list… and it is a toss up between the two for top dog.

You should try one sometime… I am thinking about adding another… that taste different and is larger.
Promise you… I will stop at 2, or possibly 3.

3 Likes

I won’t be growing kiwi again, I planted them twice before, both male and female, not a single flower.
No on blackberries, I planted them before, they were vigorous, produced plenty, but sometime we just don’t eat them. And now I don’t have the space for them and my husband prefers raspberries and blueberries better.

1 Like

Doing really well. I just posted a video that shows it, that I filmed 6 days ago. If you want to take a look here is the link: 7 year old food forest starting to produce quite a bit more. Zone 8b PNW Western Washington. - YouTube

The Kreibich is shown at 2:43.

I was shocked that it only showed PLC on a handful of leaves. Less than my Frost Peach did!

5 Likes

Although I like dried Goji fruit sometimes,my plant never produced,besides the small amount,at the nursery,when purchased.
Someone described the growth habit,as having a bad hair day.That’s funny.

2 Likes