What's something you'll never grow (or never grow again)?

As I move to a new location… and start over again… some things I will take with me thru propigation or grafting…

My early McIntosh apple, raspberries, loganberry… also my Hudson golden gem and akane apples my CH fig… got to have those…

Many other things I will just leave behind…
My later ripening peach trees… I will never grow those again… very rare to get good (no spray) fruit from them.

I may try one peach at my new location… rich may… which ripens quite early… and I hope will give a few more good no spray peaches.

I will never grow white potatoes again and will grow less and less sweet corn… I just cant eat those and stay healthy. Have to grow low carb Keto stuff now.

The high carb stuff I grow now gets eaten just a few times a year by my wife and i… but is mostly given to our kids and family.

I have grown kale and chard several times… but doubt I will grow it again. I just prefer leaf lettuces… spinach… collards…

I have a moor park apricot at my old location… and it seems to be going down hill… not thriving at all. No plans to try apricot again.

Jostaberry and red currants failed here in full sun and morning sun only locations. I might try red currants again in a mostly shade location… saw a vid recently showing that they do well in mostly shade.

If I try honeyberry again at my new location… I think I may need varieties that are known to do better in the SE USA… and perhaps give them some evening shade.

3 Likes

Not going to do maypop again. Too invasive, and you have to have two different plants to pollinate each other, despite that not many will survive in zone 5b. And the ones that will from what I understand are not that great compared to the actually tropical ones.

1 Like

I tried Myrtus Ugni (Kapow), it grew well and the evergreen leaves look vibrant and cool, but the fruit were small and the skin way too resin-ey for me.

1 Like

Kind of ironic how drought summers are GOOD for fruit growth here in MD but bad for veggies and everything else.

4 Likes

At least for me, the point isn’t doing it to save money, it’s doing it because I can.

3 Likes

After my similar experiences here - plus eutypa dieback - I’m quite done with apricots as well.

1 Like

Not many things I won’t grow again.

Close to giving up on lettuce. Always turns out bitter for me no matter what I do.

2 Likes

Raised beds or bucket maybe? Time of year planted?

1 Like

I have no intention of growing sweet cherries, plums, or nut trees at my house. With 1/8th acre there is no room for the stuff that is low maintenance, why would I struggle with black knot and let the weather dictate if I get a harvest? I just have no room for nut trees. I plan to plant hickory (shagbark and mockernut), butternut, American hazelnut, and some other nuts at the office I work at because there is room I am missing.

3 Likes

Grapes, kiwis, cane berries,goose berries,blue berries, and any kind of nuts.

1 Like

After tasting Akebia,I think they should send the thing back to the planet,where it came from.

2 Likes

Wikipedia says there is great variation in the fruit, and some may be insipid… Maybe more varieties should be tested before passing judgment?

Why not nuts?

It’s not a matter of varieties. It’s because the “fruit” actually has little or no flesh. The only thing to eat is the seeds, which are too large. They are enclosed by tiny amounts of gel/liquid that has a mild inoffensive flavor. But even if the flavor was great, the seeds are no fun to eat.

The only thing I’ve heard that works for akebia is to scrape out the seeds and squeeze the juice from them. If you do this with about 100 or so fruits you might get a cup of juice.

The other problem with akebia is that in warmer climates (7-9) they are terribly invasive because the vines are incredibly vigorous (they can outgrow kudzu) and birds eat and spread the seeds.

1 Like

I counted 9,876,543,210! Squirrels in my back yard. I would never get one. The only fruits I get for my self are New Zealand lemonade sweet lemons, Meiwa kumquats, Hardy Chicago figs. Animals don’t know what they are.

3 Likes

Cherries are easy in Utah. Even organic. Hit them with spinosad 2-3 times every 8-10 days during the ripening period and that’s about it.

3 Likes

As far as i know im not going to grow Figs or Pawpaws. FB has exploded with interest in these things and they just dont appeal to me. I never see anyone tasting the 100 varieties of figs they grow…seems like they are obsessed with trading and getting 200 varieties… maybe im just seeing the bad side of it… same with PawPaws… seems like there are people that just collect a ton of varieties but dont really enjoy them.

I do like to buy a small box of mission figs during the holidays but i dont think i could eat 10 trees worth… why do they only sell mission figs at the store?

I did not know that pecans also secrete jugalone… Thanks. If you stop by the growingfruit pages you can learn something new everyday.

1 Like

I forgot to include plums. I had 3 trees, that grew well. They started out deep green and got yellow and then put out white leave all summer and died early fall. $50 dollars down the drain.

1 Like

Never in my life would I consider ornamental grasses of any type. They took over their spot, and every other one there is. I still pull them out every month, it’s just as bad as the Johnson grass that shows up. The birds love all of it. Walnuts, the tree my parents got in the late 1970s tastes good. Squirrel gets most nuts, but I make walnut wine. Goji, also took over, and not very good. I’ll get dried from the store.

2 Likes