What's the deal with citrus scions?

I don’t remember seeing anything about grafting citrus. I wanted to put some kind of kumquat onto my Clementine tree. Is there a place to buy citrus scions? Is this even legal due to that greening disease? What time of year is this grafting done?

Fruitmentor on utube has a very good series on citrus grafting.
As I remember also reference to places to get disease free scionwood

4 Likes

I think if you are not in the citrus producing states you can do what you want.
In those states propagation is limited to nurserys that follow a protocol .
And home propagation forbidden .

2 Likes

@ growjimgrow
I see you are in zone 7
So iam assuming you are not in a citrus producing state .
I have a mewia kumquat I could send you scions of.
Let me know when, if you want it.

1 Like

Curious if these need to be brought in. That is, are you growing them outside in your zone?

Yes they need brought in

Our region of Southern California, as with most citrus-growing regions, is under strict quarantine, for this is how the disease and vector was brought in the first place. Only a few certified nurseries in the middle of the desert can propagate, and scionwood either comes from them or UC Riverside.

3 Likes

When you are not sure bring young tree’s in,especial if it is a tree you just bought, why gamble. These tree’s are grown under ideal condition so don’t shock them that soon.

3 Likes

Hey, I’d love to try it. I assume we should wait until its warmer out to ship it. I send you a PM at some point. Thanks a ton!

1 Like

Here are my Meyer lemon and Clementine trees. I have had only one lemon this year after about 20 last year. There are a few more on the tree but much less.

4 Likes