What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Your bushes are about the same size as mine. Are you getting many berries or just a couple on each bush? Thanks!

1 Like

my Boreals bloom only a day difference than from aurora and indigo gem 2 days before that. only ones just starting to bloom is strawberry sensation. solos got a few flowers even if its only 6in tall.

2 Likes

I got the first berries off my blue palm/diamond bushes. Tiny, tart, and not great, but in fairness, the bushes have only been in the ground for a year. They had a complex flavor though…more sugar content and maybe time on the bush would have made them interesting.

3 Likes

Anyone have tips on taking honeyberry cuttings? My Aurora and Indigo Gem are doing quite well and I would rather like to have a few more…

Also, not only do I have to net against birds but I also have to fence, haha! Everything seems to think these bushes are delicious and I’m the last in line.

2 Likes

I would say maybe a couple of quarts per bush. Also, this is the first year that they have ripened before my strawberries that weren’t covered.

1 Like

Plenty of tips in this thread:

Sweet thanks! I will peruse. I tried randomly taking some cuttings in November last year and they didn’t take, so hopefully the thread will yield better luck for me.

Purchased a variety of plants from honeyberryusa and aurora and honey bee are trying to set a couple fruits. I’m surprised by their vigor. I planted them in an area that gets morning sun, mostly afternoon shade, and late afternoon/evening sun. I’m hoping that will protect them from our hot summer weather.

1 Like

Wow thats quite a harvest! How old are your bushes?

I planted them in the spring of 2019 and they were two year old plants. I lost a year of growth (2020) because I wasn’t able to weed or mulch them. Thankfully, they didn’t die.

3 Likes

new flavor arrived today

4 Likes

I lost almost all of my crop last year to leaf rollers. They are back and I just sprayed my honeyberries with bt. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I posted a picture of this aurora way up in the thread about two years ago after the dogs chewed it to the ground and there were just a couple broken sticks left. It’s really come back to life-

5 Likes

mine was all eaten to the ground by voles. now its got about 1ft. of new growth already.

3 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: Im new in here. I have never grown this. I live in north norway. Im wondering…when do you take cuttings? Is it ok to take it now ?

YEich is the best way to do it?

Best wishes from Elisa

1 Like

I cut the cuttings 2-3 weeks after flowering. Almost everything takes root for me in the fog. now I have Aurora, Blizzard and Vostorg spiked. They already have roots and in a few days I will start to harden them.

7 Likes

Let everyone plant an Aurora. This year’s harvest:

Na druhom mieste je odroda Fialka, potom Vostorg a Blizzard.

8 Likes

Here I experimentally planted Aurora and Vostorg in 90L containers. I am trying to see if it is sustainable and suitable for those who have no other option. There is a nop foil inside and the container is raised by 15 cm, sawdust fills the container and a 3 cm layer of ash. Then the compost in which the plant is planted. The hole in the container is drilled 15 cm from the bottom of the container.

The video shows a 3-year-old Vostorg, which was also covered with fruit last year. Auroras are planted before the moon and grow, as if from water.

3 Likes

Nice😍

1 Like

Viktor,are you on instagram ? Is it possible to follow you there? Do you share much haskap info there ?