What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Lack of pollinators here. Of the half dozen fruits, I got one (in April) and birds got the rest.
I think those half dozen I pollinated using Q-tip

Both of my bushes flowered less and set less fruit this spring (their second in the ground) than last year, but they are putting on a lot more vegetative growth this spring so I’m happy about that since they were hardly more than sticks when I planted them.

I didn’t notice any birds eating them last year, but my whole neighborhood is full of various types of huge cherry trees that draw in most of the fruit-loving birds, so I never see them go after my berries (not these or the strawberries or raspberries either).

2 Likes

mine didnt for 4 years then the damned crows raided them and broke most of the new growth by landing in the middle of the bushes!

2 Likes

If I didn’t net my sizable honeyberry bed I wouldn’t get diddly from it. I vote yes for arborist mulch.

4 Likes

definitely netting mine this year.

1 Like

It’s been a strange start of the honeyberry season coming off of a hard winter. My honeyberries are struggling to leaf out and things seem very slow this year. I have one blizzard in the corner that gets a lot of sun and it is blooming before any of the “early” bloomers have even finished leafing out.

2 Likes

Your bushes are about the same size as mine. Are you getting many berries or just a couple on each bush? Thanks!

1 Like

my Boreals bloom only a day difference than from aurora and indigo gem 2 days before that. only ones just starting to bloom is strawberry sensation. solos got a few flowers even if its only 6in tall.

2 Likes

I got the first berries off my blue palm/diamond bushes. Tiny, tart, and not great, but in fairness, the bushes have only been in the ground for a year. They had a complex flavor though…more sugar content and maybe time on the bush would have made them interesting.

3 Likes

Anyone have tips on taking honeyberry cuttings? My Aurora and Indigo Gem are doing quite well and I would rather like to have a few more…

Also, not only do I have to net against birds but I also have to fence, haha! Everything seems to think these bushes are delicious and I’m the last in line.

2 Likes

I would say maybe a couple of quarts per bush. Also, this is the first year that they have ripened before my strawberries that weren’t covered.

1 Like

Plenty of tips in this thread:

Sweet thanks! I will peruse. I tried randomly taking some cuttings in November last year and they didn’t take, so hopefully the thread will yield better luck for me.

Purchased a variety of plants from honeyberryusa and aurora and honey bee are trying to set a couple fruits. I’m surprised by their vigor. I planted them in an area that gets morning sun, mostly afternoon shade, and late afternoon/evening sun. I’m hoping that will protect them from our hot summer weather.

1 Like

Wow thats quite a harvest! How old are your bushes?

I planted them in the spring of 2019 and they were two year old plants. I lost a year of growth (2020) because I wasn’t able to weed or mulch them. Thankfully, they didn’t die.

3 Likes

new flavor arrived today

4 Likes

I lost almost all of my crop last year to leaf rollers. They are back and I just sprayed my honeyberries with bt. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I posted a picture of this aurora way up in the thread about two years ago after the dogs chewed it to the ground and there were just a couple broken sticks left. It’s really come back to life-

5 Likes

mine was all eaten to the ground by voles. now its got about 1ft. of new growth already.

3 Likes