What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

See i get alot of different flavours out of the honeyberries but all a similar texture

most of them are bushes but i am trying a few juliet in tree form on my boulevard.

I have read good things about Happy Giant and Blue Moose also but I have yet to get any fruit on mine as the oldest are just 2 years old so I canā€™t commentā€¦Aurora is good, I didnā€™t mention it just
because everyone else does:p

I find some have herbal or bitter flavours that were not completely bred out of themā€¦but some of those mellow and change even as they ripenā€¦so many different factorsā€¦varietyā€¦maturity of the bushā€¦soilā€¦sunā€¦overall weather of the season, degree of ripenessā€¦and also can vary quite a bit from berry to berry on the same plant.Overall I have found the Canadian varieties good with the newest ones being the bestā€¦I suspect the Polish ones will have some good ones and I havenā€™t had a chance to try the newer US onesā€¦some of the older ones were not very good.

Blue Moon and Blue Velvet are the only honeyberries Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to sample so far. I am sure there are improved ones. My feelings were too many had a wet scar and would not hold up in commerce, but that they were good to eat freshā€“and I presume good for cooking, and also for wine. I was introduced first to those two varieties by a u-pik blueberry farm in the Knoxville, (RockyTop) Tennessee, area around 7 years ago. I have a couple plants Iā€™ve bought bare root since then, but they have not fruited. Iā€™ve been busy with apples, blueberries, etc and havenā€™t taken the time and patience for the honeyberries so far. Superior to currants and gooseberries for fresh eating, and roughly in the category of homegrown blueberries, but smaller berries.

I have used a few different mulches, this summer I mulched some with rotten hay (enough that the seeds were dead) and some with nut shells. The hay worked beautifully. It suppressed the weeds very well, protected the plants from the heat so they did not defoliate. They were quite happy. The nut shells just didnā€™t stop the weeds. Plastic, I have tried on a few berries not honeyberry, I donā€™t like it. It messes with moisture. I am trying cardboard, which is cheaper (free) and works well as a mulch, the worms get underneath and go wild. Both the hay and the cardboard only last three months or so.

try fresh wood chips or chopped hay. keeps weeds out all summer. usually fertilize then lay a 4in. layer of green wodchips in spring. if you renew the mulch every spring you wonā€™t have any weeds. all my plants love it and i rarely have to water. i control the weeds from invading from the side with a little roundup a few times during summer. doesnā€™t take much.

I have only seen "Tundra " recommended for u pick or mechanical harvesting ā€¦and having a dry scarā€¦one variety ?..to me that seems like they just simply are not well suited for upick/ mechanical harvestingā€¦sure the better tasting varieties are very nice straight off the bush when fully ripeā€¦and they make such stellar jamā€¦I think if I were looking for a upick business I would just chose another fruitā€¦they are not the easiest berry to pickā€¦no spines , but a lot of getting down on your knees and looking up and under the leaves for fruit and they donā€™t take any rough handling they squish fairly easilyā€¦so they are great if people want to pick for jamā€¦they wont last long in the fridge.

Yupā€¦they are great and also strange plantsā€¦I have seen a plant or two spontaneously throw a few flowers in the fall when they should be shutting down for winterā€¦at first I thought it was because some plants were put in in the spring and some in the fall and some waiting in pots to be planted mixed them up a bit in terms of what season it wasā€¦but nope, they just do thatā€¦must be a day length thing and because they are so hardyā€¦chill hours donā€™t mean muchā€¦itā€™s like they are ready to go anytime almost.

I swear mine have a repeat bloom function, Usually there first flower hits with my last frost (Happens with alot of plants for me) then they get a few that come on and then a month or two later i get a larger harvest of blooms that happened inside my plant.

I understand that the blossoms of honeyberries/haskaps can be viable down to 17 - 20 degrees F.

But, I could be wrong. Certainly Iā€™ve seen the blooms at those tempsā€¦just havenā€™t made good records as to if those blossoms set fruit.

Usually our last frost is pretty severe, Definitely the outside ones fry and shrivel within a day of the hard frost, the ā€œsecond berriesā€ usually come from inside the plant and i see blooms many times in late june which seem to become berries in late july early august. I usually get my first set of berries like late june which i watched from the late may blooms, Its possible they are just delayed and Im not seeing the little bud sites thinking about being a honeyberry?

This spring we had a northwester come through the last weekend of April. Temps down to -10 Celsius with howling winds and snow. All of my haskap were awake, but only my Polar Jewel(a pure Russian for pollination) had the majority of its flowers and leaves fully open. The Polar Jewel lost all of its flowers and many of the leaves on the north side. I was impressed with how the partially open flowers on Aurora, Borealis, and Indigo gem all went on to provide a decent harvest. The Polar Jewel provided no fruit, but by early summer it was looking quite healthy again.

All of mine seem to have dry scars. I would agree they are not best for Upick. For one you should not be picking them. Shake the bush any that stay on are not ripe. use a tarp.
Some I found shed too easy others not enough but in general it is a good way to harvest.