What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Amur is more suitable for children to eat from the bush. Not suitable for commercial cultivation. In the container, the surface is quickly damaged and subsequently sticky. And the only criterion I take is the taste, it is balanced and great, like black cherries.

On the contrary, L. Velikán has a very rigid surface, is resistant to damage and has excellent storability. Due to poorer fertility, it is not suitable for commercial cultivation. It tastes sweeter than Amur and more aromatic. The scent of L. Velikán is fantastic. But in my subjective impression, he lacks a little more acid. The taste would be even better.

Aurora is still unrivaled and we have a top. I preferred it to all the varieties I have. I grew about 15 varieties.

Aurora may not surpass the taste of Amur or L. Velikán, but it has the combined advantages of a good sweet and sour taste with a slight aroma and therefore it is not a sweet indistinct taste, it has excellent fertility, the fruit surface is firm and suitable for mechanical harvesting, has good storability. Good health and vitality of shrubs. Disadvantage - uneven ripening.

3 Likes

Well, if you want to search, the names of Hascap are different in other states. Well, they have the same Latin names. The Blue Honeysuckle (Haskap) ( Lonicera caerulea var. kamtschatica Sevast.)

For example, search for: lonicera kamtschatica amur

Here is an authentic photo of the shape of the fruit and there is also a Leningrad giant. He has a bump at the end of the fetus.

https://in-vitro.pl/en/rodzaj/blue-honeysuckle-haskap/

Leningrad giant
L_Velikan

5 Likes

i too prefer the taste of Aurora. my wife likes them also. i put in a 2nd aurora and a honeybee last spring. i have a boreal beauty and boreal beast coming in this may. hopefully they are as good as aurora.

2 Likes

The latest Gurneys catalog lists a new Maxine’s Opus honeyberry. I have three of her others: Sugar Mt. Blue, Maxie and another whose name escapes my mind. I am curious if this one is much different from choice ones I already have, such as Aurora, Giant’s heart, Beauty, Blizzard, Beast, and others.

i dont have any of her cultivars. only the U of SK ones. got beauty and beast coming in spring. ive heard they arent as productive as the mostly russian /canadian cultivars. is that your experience as well?

1 Like

Most of mine aren’t in full production yet, or maybe the birds have eaten more than I realized.

1 Like

I have 5 of Dr. Thompson’s. The labels lost their legibility, I thought I’d documented them somewhere, but was able to decipher 3 of the 5 few years ago.

So apparently I have “Chito”. I haven’t been able to find the seedling numbers of the new selections, so don’t know if I have any of the other named ones.

22-14

41-75 Chito

88-92

Interesting, I found this document. It refers to 22-14 as having the best flavor of the mother plants:
http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/apps/adf/ADFAdminReport/20080042.pdf

2 Likes

Who sells larger plants ? I really do not want tiny starts .

2 Likes

I was happy with the size that I got from Ison’s last year, but they only carry Blue Moon and Blue Velvet.

2 Likes

Yes, Blue Moon and Blue Velvet were a couple of the first available…I planted 3 or one and two of the other in 2011 near Lexington, KY. Got to eat a few. I saw the potential. Somewhat like a wild huckleberry.
I’m still waiting from some newer ones I have to bloom and/or fruit.

2 Likes

honeyberryusa often has larger sizes available…

2 Likes

question? who produces the blue series cultivars like blue moon etc. i cant find any info on them. i think they are another source from canadian breeders.

1 Like

I thought it was in Arkansas…
Berries Unlimited?
But, I’d also have to research to be sure.

Berries Unlimited has a bunch of varieties but I dont think they are well tested, I wouldnt be scared to try a few of their varieties, but I wouldnt invest a lot of money in them until you try them yourself personally, ive had mixed results dealing with them so far…

2 Likes

Several sites taxonomized Blue Moon as Lonicera caerulea edulis.

According to this webpage, Blue Moon comes from Northern Japan.

This website places it from Kuril Islands, which is close to both Northern Japan and Eastern Russia.

North Dakota State University (extension) has it listed as a Russian variety in this pdf report.

Here’s another interesting little “on topic” article that agNDSU published.

3 Likes

Has anyone grafted honeyberry scions onto winter honeysuckle? We have an overabundance of those (almost as many as callery pears) in zone 7b.

1 Like

Im thinking about ordering a bulk quantity of bare root Aurora plants from a licensed propagator. Is anyone interested in a ‘group buy’ for US people, minimum order would be 50 plants as they come in bundles of 50… $250 for 50 plants which would include repackaging and shipping to your location in continental US.

3 Likes

I bought some of the first Honeyberry bushes available in my area from Canadian Tire’s nursery. Bought several varieties, grew them out, and have not really found them worth the effort or the space they take up. Gave away a few last year and after they leaf out, I’m going the sell my remaining honeyberry/Haskap bushes to make space in my front lawn garden. Much prefer blueberries, strawberries, and pink lemonade blueberries for fresh eating, so this spring I’ll have more room for these.

What varieties do you have?

That’s true…we don’t all find the same girl attractive, not the same apple the best.