What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

If the wood is old and very shaved inside, the growths are small and the fruit is small, or if the wood is diseased, I will cut it about 10-15 cm at the ground in the autumn. These activate the backup growth buds and are able to grow in the spring regenerating shoots even more than 1m. For the second year, they can have pretty big fruits.

If I see that there is a problem in the roots, then I throw away the plant and replace it with another. They reproduce easily and are able to bear fruit for a year after propagation.

3 Likes

We really like fresh fruit crushed with strawberries and the addition of sugar will highlight the taste of strawberries and make it much more concentrated. It’s incredibly good and refreshing by adding to white yogurt.

I discussed with a woman who told me that she wanted to throw out the bushes because her fruits seem hot. She probably had some seedlings that had a hot taste in the background and were quite acidic. I told her to leave the fruit on the bush longer, then crush it with sugar and taste it.

She did it and was excited about the taste. As if it were a different fruit. He doesn’t want to throw out the bushes anymore and is looking for other new varieties.

I also have seedlings with small fruits that have a hot taste in the background. But when they ripen properly and I smell the collected bowl, the scent reminds me of the forest scent of wild strawberries. Well, crushed with sugar, they have a much more concentrated and richer taste than the new bred varieties. We prefer these mixed with sugar in white yogurt. It’s a great taste.

Sweet varieties when consumed directly from the bushes, it is also a different taste.

Processed like jam has a completely different taste.

Candied also has a different taste than prunes. Well, wine, that’s great.

6 Likes

i agree this is an amazing fruit. such a unique taste and so good for you. its only going to get better as so many breeding programs are constantly improving them. the future looks bright for the honeyberry. .

2 Likes

Hot is an unusual translation. We only call a flavor hot if it tastes like hot peppers like jalapeno or horseradish or wasabi. Sometimes people say Black peppercorns are hot. Do you think she meant hot like this?

I am curious if there is a better translation for “hot”.

1 Like

I was wondering if @Viktor means sour or tart. If it were truly hot (spicy), sugar wouldn’t change that.

1 Like

Yes, my new Aurora plants look even more vigorous than your photo…nearly 24 inches new growth on some. They came in Feb., de-potted 4".

2 Likes

I mean a hot taste, such as hot cucumbers - hot beer. There is bitterness in the background, like when they have wild strawberries. Maybe I’m translating it incorrectly.

2 Likes

Oh, bitter, ok. I have never heard bitter described as “hot” but it could just be a matter of where I live. Thanks for explaining @Viktor ! :slight_smile: emphasized text

2 Likes

Any one can help me and say whats wrong with my plants??

They have small leaves and really dont want to grow😔
Or they may be missing NPK nutrition?

@Viktor

Looks like some fine honeyberry plants. Top picture shows a scrape on the bark.

These berries where green yesterday. Today they started to turn. I know they wont be ripe till they basicly fall way from the stem. But how many days from this point do you think they have in 96F degree weather?

1 Like

I gave my honeyberryes that didnt want to grow Azomite last year and they all took off this year.

1 Like

Where are you located?

Zone 6b

2 Likes

Wait a little. When the plants bloom, the leaves are small. After flowering, we will see what the increments of twigs will be. If they are still small, then I do this by cutting such a plant in the fall 10 -15 cm from the ground. If the root is diseased, it will show up in increments. If they don’t grow big enough, I’ll throw the plant away. If the wood is sick, then by pruning, the plant will be completely regenerated and will be more beautiful than before

3 Likes

For me, it’s starting to mature

6 Likes

thats alot of berries! good job !

Has anyone tried random crosses from seed?
I have somewhere between 5 and 8 different, unnamed, haskap types. All are older, so the very tart berries. They are all planted together and, I assume, cross pollinate since they all flower together.

Our house is for sale and I’ve potted up a few of the best producers that were small enough to dig so I’ll have them to propagate from, once we move.

It looks like a berry thieving bird pooped in a potted currant last year and I had a cluster of babies pop up. I’ve repotted them and have a total of 8. I figured they should have value even just as pollinators but it would be nice if they also gave some useful berries. ( being free, and a year ahead of any other propagation, makes me willing to give them a shot)

3 Likes