What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Lol, I got a Strawberry sensation from them this year. I went to take a picture when planting but my phone was not in my pocket. The whole plant fit accross my palm, roots and all, tip to tip. Maybe 3" total. But it’s growing, slowly since it was so small but growing.

2 Likes

I have to say, as someone who can grow a wide range of fruits (incl pawpaws, persimmons, strawberries, figs), that all those fruits you mention are among my favorites. Honeyberries have an outstanding flavor, and there’s nothing quite like currants or sour cherries. I’ll admit currants and bush cherries have their best use as processing fruits, but I personally even like them fresh off the bush. To be fair, though, I can’t really think of many fruits that I don’t like.

7 Likes

i got 2 from honeyberry usa. they were about 6-8in. which is a good size from them. luckily, they grow fast once in ground here.

well thank you

Well, you know how they say it. Man plants, but God gives growth.

3 Likes

I have grown from seed, and the resulting plants(especially those of hybrid Siberian/Japanese origins) show a wide range of growth habit, productivity, fruit size and shape. It’s a fun project, they take 3-4 years to start bearing

6 Likes

a friend of mine grew out a bunch of aurora from seed. she offered me a whole flat of them. be interesting to see how they produce.

5 Likes

not only fish can be caught by fishing landing nets. It is ideal for selective harvesting, ie for the fruits that are most ripe and for smaller shrubs. It can be inserted under the branches, where the fruits are more ripe and there is a string in front, which adapts to the shape of the bush. Landing net in one hand and a tail saw redesigned in the other. Collection is one joy.

8 Likes

you must be related to an American redneck! great idea! i would see my father come up with something like this. he once welded angle iron to the front of his lawnmower deck to level his cucumber beds. this was a few years before he passed and he was on oxygen. like he used to say. if theres a will, theres a way! miss you Dad!

Just noticed my first-year Blue Forest™ honeyberries have started changing color, and there’s a little spider guarding over them:

7 Likes

I picked all my bushes over the past couple of days. Even the nets didn’t fully protect them so scare tape is on the try list for next year.
A bunch is in the freezer for jamming and smoothies but we had pancakes!

5 Likes

Here’s today’s video when dealing with that fish landing net. This morning I collected alone and comfortably over 10 kg. If this goes on and the weather lasts, the collection will be fine. Canadians have yet to wait. Aurora is great and is surrounded by fruit.

7 Likes

Aurora, Fialka, Blizzard, Vostorg

Well, Honeybee, it will be good for processing!

20220614_111311|690x517

11 Likes

nice looking berries, mine are just starting to turn blue, need to net them in the next few days…

1 Like

I need to bet them before they turn color here or the birds get into them

1 Like

Yeah I should but I usually dont get around to it till I see the bushes moving from the birds in them! haha

2 Likes

We have starlings here. They are very clever and hide under the bushes. I had a problem with them in the beginning. Early in the morning from 5:00 they were already flying and I had to scare them. But when they saw that I was watering almost in the morning, they did not want to wait for the hungry, so they made raids on cherries. They filled their bellies with cherries and gave me peace for a while. Later, most flew somewhere and only a few individuals remained. I also have networks, but this year I managed it without them.

2 Likes

Had my first Keiko today. Very good. Sweet/sour with sweet dominating when fully ripe but it is difficult determining when they are fully ripe. They have no odd taste like the older varieties such as Berry Blue. I will be removing my Berry Blue.
Also Honey Bee is ripening. I prefer the Keiko but Honey Bee has more fruit in a mostly shaded spot.

2 Likes

Had my first berries today too! Unknown variety from a small general store. They were fantastic. I wasn’t ready and the birds got all of mine as soon as they had any color :unamused: very excited for next yrs harvest.

1 Like

I also had my first berries this week from both Blue Forest and Blue Moon. They were tasty (sweet and slightly tangy) but very small. I’m hoping they will be bigger when the bushes get larger. The photos I’ve seen of everyone’s berries on here look 2x bigger or more. But I’m happy with the flavor at least!

indigo gem/ treat are starting to ripen. sparrows seemed to clean out the ones near the ground. i put out flash tape. now they stay away.

1 Like