What's wrong with my rhubarb plant?

Welcome from a fellow Appalachian 6B (NW NC).

2 Likes

@colorado_orange … Rhubarb flowers attract a parasitic wasp that eats codling moth larvae. They are a wonderful companion plant for the orchard.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I guess it’s time to add more rhubarb and let them flower. Do you know the name of the wasp?

1 Like

That is an excellent reason to keep blooms that I hadn’t heard of before. Thanks for sharing. As my plants mature ill plan to keep a bloom or two for this reason.

1 Like

That’s a good argument for planting a few selections that aren’t selected for reduced flowering tendency.

1 Like

This is a three year old rhubarb seedling that I’ve been growing. It’s flowering for the first time this year, but its flowers are at crown level with no stem. It will be interesting to see if it continues to flower without a stem in future years as that would be very energy saving for the plant.

3 Likes

I’m trying to find more info about this but am struggling to locate any references. Do you have a source for this info or is it based on personal observations?

2 Likes

Michael Phillips (author of The Holistic Orchard) spoke about the the rhubarb flower attracting a parasitic wasp that eats or rather inhabits the codling moth larvae in a seminar he gave for Living Web Farms called “Successful Biological Orcharding”. You can watch it free on YouTube.

3 Likes