Whats your blueberry yield?

I have a total of 10 blueberries in pots. I have had these blueberries since Jan 2017 in an acidic potting mix and maintain a ph of around 5.

Positives - Surprisingly low maintenance, no pest/disease, easy to grow.
Reveille - brix was 11.5, very good flavor. Southmoon -brix was almost 16!!! Outstanding flavor.
Sweetcrisp - no fruit yet but flowered this year - so hopeful for fruit next year.

Negative - Yield is so low… I would may be get 1 cup of fruit this year. Is it worth growing given space is such a premium for me. I have < 2500 sq.ft. of growing space… Is my space better used growing something else? Can you share your experience with blueberry yields? What is the typical yield from 10 potted plants?

Here are pics of this years fruit set.

IMG_1195%20-%20Copy

IMG_1196%20-%20Copy

IMG_1197%20-%20Copy

IMG_1198%20-%20Copy

IMG_1199%20-%20Copy

IMG_1200%20-%20Copy

IMG_1201%20-%20Copy

3 Likes

My experience is that they are prolific, at least when grown in the right climate (and I am in the native zone). When I inherited managing my grandparent’s blueberry patch they were mature bushes. The spacing was 6 feet between the 2 rows and 5 feet between plants within the row, and it was tight. Out of the 18 plants there were a few that were not that great but the rest were good/great. After what was dropped, what the birds that got through the net stole, and what people ate fresh we still had 110 to 120 quart sized freezer bags stuffed with berries every summer.

I’m currently only managing my own much less mature patch of 10, yields will be pretty small for me this year.

3 Likes

What size are your pots? I grow them in 20 gallon pots and they produce a lot.

2 Likes

@JImIn7a - Mine have been in 5 gallon grow bags… After this year’s harvest, if I decide to keep them, I can transplant to a 20 gallon pot… how many cups yield do you get per pot?

1 Like

@Joe wow!!! 100 quarts from 18 plants!

1 Like

That’s just what went in the freezer. I alone would eat a quart or two a day throughout the month of July and into early August. Others had their share as well, but less than me.

3 Likes

I’ve never recorded it, but a conservative guess would be at least 3 quarts from my oldest plants that I potted up 4 years ago. I have also done side by side tests ( 2 plants of the same age and cultivar) with plastic versus fabric pots. The ones in plastic grow bigger and produce more. I’m guessing that the plastic doesn’t dry out as fast.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten up to 15 lbs off one Star plant in a 15 gal container. But that’s the extreme. I’d say 5 lbs would be good. And if they don’t pollinate it can be near zero.

I have had up to 26 brix on Sweetcrisp. I couldn’t believe it myself.

5 Likes

I get more berries than I care to pick, net, clean, freeze or generally deal with. I’ve taken to sharing with the birds, which is more fun than hauling in colander loads of berries. My BB are in 15" pots, eight of them, and going strong for many years using the Dave Wilson Nursery instructions. Here is what I brought in for Mother’s Day breakfast:Mother's%20Day%20Berries

3 Likes

Other than increasing the pot size as the plant gets older and (hopefully) bigger…you’re looking good to me. I have about as many in pots. Mostly one of a kind, but several have lost tags and I am forgetful. From Duke, my newest, to Sunshine Blue to Bluegold to Toro to Aurora…just for starters. Don’t like Bluecrop. Anyhow, my crop is sporadic, but I keep my plants in the shade mostly so I never have to water them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am in US, in NW, and my 3 blueberries are same size with same yield as yours, also put into ground in fall 2017.

1 Like

I get about 20 quarts from my hedge which is maybe 15’ long. Per square foot they are one of the most reliably productive fruits, once they get mature-sized. Once you pot those up and give them a few more years they will be producing a ton.

5 Likes

Thanks all!

I’ll re-pot and keep them. Hopefully, I’ll get as much berries off of it as you all do :slight_smile:
I guess, another good reason to keep them is Strawberries and Blueberries are the only fruit I get from my garden this time of the year!

In San Jose? You should be bringing in a fair amount of fruit right now. It’s June!! Check out the Dave Wilson Nursery website regarding successive ripening for your growing zone.

1 Like

Yes, West San Jose / Campbell.
Cherries didn’t set fruit this year. Apricots, peaches, pluots, plums are all still green - should have plenty in July August. So all I have now are strawberries and blueberries.

Sounds like you’re heading in the right direction, do check out some of the earlier varieties. I’d imagine that loquats would be something to consider as well.

2 Likes