When is the best time to graft cherry scions?

Good to know! I love how clean figs are for grafting!

1 Like

Fantastic!

2 Likes

The way I think about grafting is two components - only.

It’s simple:

Anytime (for anything: nuts, fruit, sorry no experience with citrus but I wouldn’t change anything @anon47724557 I defer to)

temps are midst 70 for two weeks in advance. I don’t care if it’s cloudy or going to rain or is sunny or dry. It’s all about temperature. 70+ Fahrenheit or 18 - 21 C

next is root power. You can graft when it’s cool outside early on if you have a lot of roots. A 3-4 year old tree or older. Grafting above deer browse height so grafting at 5 Feet above ground or more. +/1 two-meters. swollen buds to unfurling leaves +; I personally like to see green in the scales as they swell and split “they show green”. That’s my favorite time to bark graft or flap graft an older tree that’s 2-meters tall or taller.

It’s really that simple to me. And the trick is don’t stop grafting. Graft far into June or July if necessary. If the bark isn’t slipping then ‘know your rootstock’ and if it’ll accept chips / chip buds. Nut trees won’t… I’ll tell you that much.

My advice and should always be if you’re a grafter and don’t plan to purchase grafted trees: 1) plant 1/4" rootstock, put a cage or tree guard on it to 5’ or taller and keep it watered/weeded and wait for it to reach 2-meters to graft it. That’s it. It’s the quickest establishment and the strongest. Better yet, plant a seed in place. Come July if you watered until then, you may stop watering completely after year one. A tap-root will have established and if rabbit protected can be left on its’ own. Of course you’d be better off continuing with water for at least 2-years.

2 Likes

Hi Scott,
I have not had any success trying to graft plum onto sweet cherry. I have Bing and Queen Ann and have tried both. Nothing seems to callus or grow. Your note in this older thread got my attention. Can you give me more details on your success as to what varieties you used?
Dennis
Kent, wa

What I meant there was grafting the cherries in the same time window as I did the plums, not grafting cherry scions on to plums. I never tried that.

Ok,
Thanks Scott

Have you seen this reference?

Rootstock Graft Compatibility.

I have always thought that grafting plums on cherry rootstocks won’t work.

Yes, there is Nadia cherry plum but that is hybridization. I’d like to see an example of long term compatibility of grafting plum scion on a cherry tree or vice versa.

isen’t adara also quite compatible. Im not sure if there is official documentation of 20 years+ compatibility. But i know there is a scientific paper listing wide compatibility with cherry’s and EU plums/rootstocks. And that multiple hobbyists have used it. And if not heared (m)any stories of incompatability.

I am not talking about using Adara as an inter-stem. I am talking about grafting a Shiro or a Santa Rosa on to a Black Gold or even directly on a cherry rootstock like Mazzard.

Last week i grafted santa rosa to black gold. Now looking like bud swelling on scion.
I know its not long term, but thought coincidental anyway that you mentioned that graft.

I would be interesting to know the result. I successfully grafted Caville Blanc apple scion to a Blake Pride pear. It grew, flowered and set fruit for two years. It would not be long term compatible as the graft union got swollen each year as a sign of incompatibility.

I also successfully graft Kamijn de Sonnaville apple to an Korean Giant. It did not set fruit yet when Ibremoved it. It grew so much but I did not think it could work long term.

1 Like

I’ll keep you updated.
I’ll let you know if and when it gets to leaf stage, and progress reports after that.
Also on same tree I bark grafted at same time (may 27, so abt 13 days ago) as santa rosa a redhaven peach… Scion had little leaflets on it and I kept them on. Now the leaflets are turning a vibrant green and growing

Hi Fran,
Let me know also if it actually grows. I have tried a number of plums including Adara in vain. Have not yet tried cherry plum. Adara should have worked but even on the simplest whip & Tongue graft mine never took. Even my cherry to cherry grafts failed, so I think it had todo with a heat spell that dried out my scions before the graft could callous. I did have 1 Adara bud on a cherry scion try to grow but it soon wilted after breaking out.
Dennis
Kent, wa

correct me if I’m missing something. But why would you? There is known incompatibility between them. And there are 2 interstems known to work long term.

you wouldn’t graft an quince incompatible pear directly to quince either. you’d use an interstem like BH or doyenne.

I am not the one doing this type of direct grafting. I doubt if it would ever work. I am referring to direct grafting that @tubig did on this thread.
Top working older Sweet Cherry tree.

I thought @DennisD may did something similar but looked like he used Adara but had difficulty getting takes.

Some people do it out of not knowing. Others like to experiment. I did the apples to pears by mistake because I thought I grafted pears on pears. The result was interesting. Sometimes, accidental mistakes lead to something new.

2 Likes

@mamuang
@DennisD
Update on plum to black gold
I made a mistake in above texts.
It is a Stanley I grafted to black gold, not Santa Rosa. Sorry for misinformation.
And adding to the misinformation I thought it was peach scion that had vibrant green leaves coming out of scion.
It was actually the Stanley plum
Nonetheless the Stanley is growing I think pretty well as you can see from pic. Graft Abt 19 days old
I also grafted a red Haven peach at same time and that’s just sitting there. Peach scion lower right
Anyone have luck crafting peach to black gold or any cherry?

Hi Fran,
Thanks for your update. I have several unknown plum varieties that resemble Stanley. That based on Tubig’s trials I am testing now to see if either leaf budding or using green scions with leaves removed will trigger a positive response after grafting to my Sweet cherries.
Keep me posted if you continue to see actual growth in the Stanley graft.
Thanks
Dennis
Kent, wa

Good Evening,
I tried grafting onto cherry rootstock this year for the first time. Total failure. All 12 of my grafts failed. I have read that better results using the t-Bud or chip grafting method. Before I attempted that does anybody have any good advice? Or good YouTube videos? I see plenty of grafts in existing trees but not into rootstock. Now that my rootstock is growing out so I need to trim back the new growth prior to attempting this grafts? Thank you I’m advance!

Maybe do not trim back the new growth on your rootstocks until after your new grafts are established. This year ( my first time grafting) I had over 90 percent failure on my root stock grafts ( plums not cherries ) but 100 percent success on grafts to existing trees. To me, this suggests that the rootstock not having been established some may have had something to do with the failures.

1 Like

i think cherries like slightly higher temperatures during grafting.

if you have a tree nearby you can cut scions from, id try summer (now) chip bud or t-bud. Around this time you could find some mature-ish buds at the bottom of this years growth.

1 Like