When is too late to transplant strawberries?

Hello everyone,

I am planning on upgrading one of my raised but I wouldn’t really be able to do so until late October which is nearly 2 weeks after my first estimated frost date. Is it too late to transplant at this point?

Thanks!

I transplanted strawberries in a heavily mulched area in early February in zone 6 one time. Our last frost date is May 15th. I actually didn’t put them in the ground. I made a hole in the hay mulch, put soil in the hole and planted the strawberries in that. I didn’t have any problems, but it was a mild winter that year. I would guess that it would just depend on if you can keep the ground from freezing (assuming you want to put them in the ground) before and after you plant (for a while). Maybe consider putting a little pvc hoophouse over the area to keep it from freezing. I’m not an expert though, just sharing what I have done and some random thoughts about how you might be able to do it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not too late…but next year’s crop may be limited.

1 Like

Well I would be putting the plants into the new bed which is 2 feet tall so hopefully they still have enough protection but adding a hoophouse is a great idea, thank you!

1 Like

I also would avoid bagged ‘topsoil’…and use real dirt. (weedfree if possible). And fertilize or add chicken manure around Labor day.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip!

1 Like