When to graft plum on myrobalan

I’d like to finish up grafting for the year, but have a quick question. Could I still graft plums to questionably dormant rootstock? My pear and apple rootstocks were already breaking bud and good to graft, but the myrobalan rootstocks stored in the same conditions are not yet breaking bud.

They were pruned back a bit before I got them so they don’t really have any nice apical buds that could be growing, so I’m figuring they should still be fine and I might just be stressing for no reason. I could wait another week but it seems like a few of my scions in the fridge want to wake up so I’d like to get them situated.

Any advice?

Thanks!

1 Like

There should be no problems, plums callous well between 40-65F. The closer you can narrow the temperature range to 61F the faster they heal at that optimum temperature. I keep mine covered with a dark bag or cloth to discourage bud break for 2-3 weeks
Dennis
Kent wa

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. First time grafting plums so fingers crossed!

If your scions match rootstock diameter whip and tongue or cleft are best. If not match green cambium on at least one side. A side whip and tongue also very good if rootstock much bigger, this one and the z graft need to be practiced a few times using throw way green wood
Good luck
Dennis

1 Like