When to harvest this Dekopon?

It still has green but it’s May already! It’s the only fruit on the tree. Can I harvest it?

5 Likes

Oh boy,toss a coin!bb

2 Likes

Decided to go for it, quality was bad :frowning:
It was very dry, no juice, no flavor no sugar.

I left 1 fruit on my Kishu as well and waited until March to harvest… Exact same issue with that too.

Anyone knows whats going on here? Is something in my environment causing dry tasteless citrus?

Dekopon

3 Likes

For me it’s normal to have the first fruit or fruits with bad or not so good quality. The fruit will be better with passing years.

4 Likes

I have noticed that the store bought Tangerine that sat too long on the counter would dried out. So maybe havest your fruit sooner.

3 Likes

I had four fruited Kishu trees last season, two in ground and two in containers. The harvesting date on the note was from December 2019 to February 9, 2020.
These were picked on 2/9/2020. The Kishu mandarin in general is not very juicy but never dry. They were less sweet after the rain so we tried to pick them after a few sunny days.

5 Likes

@Girly, over here a few hours north of you, I find that once it gets into the hot season, above 80 degrees in spring, our citrus drys out. In fact, here anything besides lemons become in edible, or just dry up like the one above. I harvest all of our mandarins between early November thru March. The ones after that are almost always dry. I believe the Sumo mandarin should be picked around the same time as Gold Nugget, in the month of February. One mandarin that still eats well after March is the Tango, but this is one of the only exceptions I grow here. Hope this helps out.

1 Like

I’d say give it more time :wink: My satsuma was pretty bad the first season, significantly better (but still not great) last winter and hopefully would have come into maturity (had I not butchered it for grafting) this Dec.

1 Like

@fruitgrower, @californicus, @anon18642480, @tonyOmahaz5, @Luisport

Thank you very much!
Will work on timing harvest better for next year and give the trees more time to mature.

2 Likes