When to prune cots and plums

When is it best to prune apricots or plums in the north? Here in Montana I prune apple and pear in the late winter, and then follow up with summer thinning as needed. But I’m uncertain about apricots and plums. I have this notion that stone fruit in general should be pruned on the hottest, driest day of the year, but I don’t know where I got that idea - probably connected to disease concerns.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I prune mine after harvesting the fruit, but I don’t know that’s the best way.

1 Like

For me,it’s easier to see what branches to work on,when leaves aren’t present.That is late Winter and early Spring,thinning and topping.
Then,during the Summer,mostly pruning to keep the height in check.
There is something called Eutypa dieback,which can affect Cherry and Apricot trees,when cuts are made in the Winter,followed by rains,something I haven’t experienced.

2 Likes

In Western Washington
Apricot is very susceptible to fungus diseases.
Never prune during wet weather.
Stone fruit in general.
Even Apples can get fungus damage on open wet wounds.
But Montana winters are much dryer and colder.

2 Likes

I agree completely with David. I try to prune apricots during dry weather when the tree is actively growing. Fungal disease is the concern. I do my major pruning post harvest and some light pruning prior to that.

Mark, I assume my weather is very similar to yours. Perhaps a little less precipitation.

1 Like

Probably so. I know that when I used to order from suppliers in Spokane I’d always ask what their weather was like so we could be prepared! But a fair amount of the moisture never made it over the passes. We only get about 12"/year precip.

1 Like

Well if you are getting 12" per year, you are doing better than me. The Spokane airport gets about 17", I am farther west, so I guess I get about 20" annually. Coeur d’Alene is higher at 27".

1 Like

This might be a question for Bob Purvis.He has to prune a lot,to get the scions to sell,while dormant.
I wonder,if a person didn’t have a lot of topping cuts to make,if they could be protected by putting a parafilm cap on the ends.

1 Like

Great question. I’m wondering about that too. Hard to wait till July.

For cots, you need to determine the fruiting habit of the variety that you have. Some produce near branch ends, some produce in the middle section of branches and some at the third of the branch close to the branching point. For the first two types, it is best to do major pruning in the summer (this stimulates production of fruiting wood) just after harvest and then some thinning cuts (for air/sun penetration) late winter/early spring. For the third type, I would do the pruning either like the first two or late winter/early spring. For plums, I would prune them like the third type. For me, late ripening plums are always pruned in late winter/early spring (as there is not enough time left in the season to produce new fruiting wood). I always follow my winter/spring pruning with a copper/sticker spray.

See below too :blush::

1 Like

Can I piggyback a question on this one? It seemed a good related tangent…

I’ve got a young Green Gage plum that’s been left to grow awkward. When is the best time to notch a young plum to re-train branches? I’m assuming a dry day in late winter just before bud break?