When to root currant and gooseberry

I just got a currant and a gooseberry cutting. I am in zone 5b/6a so it is winter here.
When should I root them?
If I don’t root them now, will they be OK if I store them in the refrigerator crisper drawer?

3 Likes

I’ve planted gooseberry cuttings spring through fall with great success. Winter? Not sure, but I’d guess they’d be fine in the ground or in the fridge until spring. Too bad you have only one of each, otherwise I’d hedge my bet and do both ways.

Those things are tough! If it were me and the ground wasn’t frozen, I’d go out and stick 'em in the ground.

I might also be tempted to root them now and grow them inside until spring. Or, fridge for a couple months to give them a dormant period and then root them.

Keep us posted with your results.

4 Likes

Last year I stored some in the fridge and they did fine. Also, I stuck some in the ground in the late fall and they rooted in the spring. I also had good luck storing them in the fridge in a container of damp (all squeezed out) sphagnum moss. The long stranded kind. They callused in the fridge over the winter and rooted in the spring in the ground.

I tried starting some early indoors. I would not recommend it. They all failed.

3 Likes

Several times I started a new black current bush in around this time. I just place cutting in water, in some time it starts to root out in water( it is usually leafing out first). When it happens just plant it in a pot and keep on the window till spring. Make sure not to plant it out too early - it will not kill it but sure will slow development. Also protect from UV first few days - keep it shaded.
I am not sure if same procedure will work for gooseberry or red currant.

4 Likes

Thank you for all of your comments.
I think I will start rooting them now so they will be of a decent size come spring. Once they put out leaves, I will put them under lights.

3 Likes

A couple years ago I just poked some currant cuttings into the dirt outside in fall and they rooted and grew. Today I decided to take some cuttings of a honeyberry, which I have stuck in a glass of water in the dinigroom, since the ground is frozen. Would I have better success with them in a 60 degree room or in a planting medium (not easily obtainable in pandemic)? Has anyone had success just rooting honeyberries in a glass of water? I don’t want to fuss with any elaborate set-up

1 Like

I would not try to root the honeyberry inside in water. I have done this and it hasn’t worked for me. I have had success rooting honeyberries in the spring by just sticking the cutting in my outdoor prop bed. I have also heard that honeyberry can be rooted in a cold garage with bottom heat. I plan to try this in a few weeks.

I think the current might be ok to start indoors. I didn’t even think to try that. I might go grab a cutting tomorrow to see how that would do.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve had very good success with just sticking the cutting in the ground in October/November in zone 6b. I’m not sure if December in zone 5 will be too much different, at least if the ground isn’t frozen yet. Maybe mulch them a bit?

It’s a long time to keep them in a fridge, if you want to wait until spring. Though they are pretty tough, so it could work.

I’m actually rooting some black currants now inside, in a box with slightly moistened coconut coir. So far, they have some small roots- I’ll probably move them to pots in the next week or so. I’m doing it this way, as I just purchased the property where they will be planted (well after I took the cuttings) and haven’t had a chance to prep the ground yet. Depending on how they do, I may take some more cuttings in the spring and stick them directly in the soil.

2 Likes

Gooseberry is tougher to root than Currants.
Best to create a stool bed and promote roots while attached to the main plant.
But early winter is a good time.

1 Like

I would like to start rooting them in pots now so that they will be larger in spring compared to rooting in ground.
I have rooted currants and gooseberries in pots in summer with 100 % success. Have never tried rooting them in winter.

1 Like

I put all cuttings of small berries, like brambles, Che, mulberry in my indoor rooting bed, just like how I root fig and pomegranate cuttings. It is too cold outside with ground probably frozen. The cuttings have been in transit for several days, so do not want to store to spring. Hope they root well.

1 Like

After only 48 hours in the jar of water, my honeyberry cuttings are getting sprouts of roots already. I was going to see if I could find any thawed spot under a leaf pile or somewhere else outside before the subzero temps predicted in a couple days, but have decided to just leave them in the jar in my dining room and see how they do. It will give me something to keep life interesting while housebound this winter.

3 Likes

I suggest not to leave them in water for too long. As soon as roots reach 1" I would plant them in the pot with soil, I doesn’t have to be big. If they stay too long in water the roots will start to degrade.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks.

Really, wow! Maybe I did something wrong. I have three cuttings and none of mine have roots. Well, I’m glad to hear that it’s working for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is a Honey Berry?

To me, they are slightly sour blueberries that ripen around the time of the first strawberries of the season.

In theory they get much sweeter, but you are supposed to pick them several weeks after the skin turns blue and the birds eat them within a day of color change, so I’ve never had a “fully ripe” one…I may net them one of these years.

1 Like

Which cultivars do you have that are productive? I am researching them and may plant some later in the year.

I planted 8-9 varieties about 7 years ago, but I haven’t paid enough attention to say which ones produce and have it eaten by the birds, vs which don’t produce at all.

aurora is the biggest sweetest most productive honeyberry i grow. i also have indigo gem and treat but they arent as productive and more sour. i also have a honey bee but it hasnt fruited yet. supposedly a good producer that pollinates well with aurora. the boreal series beauty/ beast is supposed to be good as well. i have 2 of them coming in spring. honeyberries are great because they are so hardy and dont have any bug or disese problems. im lucky the birds leave them alone here so far.