When to take propagate blackberry cuttings?

Sorry about that.
That is one of the points of doing this ,to try to find out if there is a best orientation for rooting , hence the up,down and side ways.
Their are shoots on each trial, slightly less on the upside down .
But as they just started pushing in the last week or so it is to early to tell what the final result will be.
They are not dead yet.
ALL look promising right now
I will update .

2 Likes

This is the only video that i have seen as proof with burying the whole cutting. Looks like if you bury 4 nodes you can possibly get 4 new plants.

I tried this in spring and failed… but looks like deep dormancy is better.

Video is in Russian so toggle the CC and auto translate to English.

So now is a good time to try this.

This has not been discussed much but if you tip root, the plant knows that it has vegetative growth in place and will only send roots to the dark area.

If you stick a cutting with buds above the ground, the plant knows that it has nodes for vegetative growth above ground and will force roots at the node below ground.

If you only have one node and bury it… the plant will put vegetative and root growth both out of the same node. (same as elderberry)

So to answer your question. The blackberry plant figures it out no matter how you do it.

2 Likes

So I’m having some cane death this spring, these dark necrotic parts in the middle of the canes. There’s lots of healthy looking stem after these dead parts so I thought I’d try using them for cuttings. Anyone tried this? It should work I reckon but I’ve never rooted dormant blackberry cuttings before.

I don’t have rooting hormones or anything so I hope it’s easy as it looks. I’m basically treating them like I would treat grape cuttings and hoping for the best.