Where does your wheat come from? Kansas maybe?

@krismoriah I agree with many of your thoughts…
My theory is go with variety, balance, moderation, common sense, and whole unprocessed.
The longest living cultures in the world all have in common of eating a big variety of whole foods, balance, and moderation.
There is more than one way to do it.
But in america, in my opinion our worst common problems are over-processing, and lack of balance & moderation. In my opinion, we need a heavy vegi diet, some fruits, with in moderation some grain/nut fiber, bean protein and smaller amounts of egg/meat protein. And moderation most of all. And cut out all processed food including white flour and soda pop.
Blessings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That reads like hunter gatherer. The hunter gatherer would eat things along the journey. There would be periods eating and periods of not eating. He would eat berries, nuts, greens, fruits…as he hunted. The seeds would be put back down on earth or defecated and more things would grow. He would likely bring back the prize to a camp of gatherers who foraged daylight to dark… and all would partake in the spoils of the hunt. Lots of exercise and variety in that story of the old ways…

If you spend daylight to dark foraging and hunting… you will be very fit and healthy most likely. You would migrate from region to region going to places with better hunting and better foraging.

Im sure at some point civilization took hold and instead of walking miles to find food they planted food near the camps. They domesticated animals so that they did not have to travel so far to hunt. With all this time on their hands they probably had laws and govt… and started populating more due to the excesses of food. Sickness was likely as people were less active and ate less of a variety of foods…and were less selective in their breeding partners.

Food becomes a celebration. Unable to store foods due to no refrigeration or canning or preservatives… abundances would lead to feasts.

Modern culture is in tune with modern foods. We are encouraged to eat 3 meals a day or more. Each industry needs you to consume their products in order to maintain the current economy. We are encouraged to celebrate with food.

Here is the most current food pyramid which is the basis of our economy and how we should eat. Each one of those items is an import/export… and its crucial that you consume them for the economy.

Fruits
Vegetables
Grains (bread, cereal, rice, and pasta)
Dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt)
Meat, poultry, fish
Eggs
Beans
Nuts
Fats
Oils 
Sweets

No doubt that wheat and grains can and do feed the overpopulation of the Earth… but excesses of food also lead to more health problems, overpopulation…more civilization… less Earth and more people. More consumers.

More consumers need more food production. Grain is great for this. Grain gives consumers and livestock calories in order to reproduce even more.

Its a runaway train with no brakes.

2 Likes

True. Also many indian tribes were more communal, some gardened along with hunter/gatherer, such as some tribes in the northeast grew lots of corn, popcorn, squash, pumpkin, certain beans, some tribes down around Sonora and the southwest grew lots of Tepary beans along with keeper pumpkins.
They had a neat lifestyle.
Some planted pawpaw groves etc.
Then some gathered acorns and nuts.
But many were not all that different than the early american homesteaders, some tribes even built houses, dirt houses in South Dakota, Log homes in the northwest, dugouts in canada, lodgepole houses in the northeast.
Many such as most plains indians were very nomadic.
Interesting stuff.
And Europe lived pretty crude too.
Before the industrial revolution.
If i could press a button and be living a good garden/gather pre-industrial revolution lifestyle i would!

1 Like

Mine as well. Our Montana wheat is better.

1 Like

My dad had celiac disease. I cooked many a gluten free Thanksgiving meal.

Youngest girl has been having some stomach issues. Doctors aren’t very helpful, So, she did one of the allergy and food intolerance tests. Came back with an allergy reaction to meat and wheat/rice… and a few others. Interesting. In terms of food intolerance, very intolerant to green beans, some nuts including peanuts, cashews and pistachios. She loves nuts. Some other low level intolerance issues. Now she will work on eliminating some things from her diet.

A couple of things I’m inclined to address…

Beef, pork, chicken are not ‘pumped full of hormones’. No supplemental hormones are used, at all, in poultry or pork production - it’s all genetics and feeding.

Beef… some steers are implanted with semi-synthetic hormones, like zeranol(Ralgro), which stimulate the pituitary gland to release more naturally-produced bovine growth hormone - resulting in greater lean muscle mass and less fat deposition.
There are prescribed pre-harvest intervals, just like for therapeutic antimicrobial agents… animals may not be harvested with ‘x’ days of being implanted. Even then, meat from an implanted steer has much less estrogenic activity - measured in parts per billion - than meat from an intact cow or heifer with functional ovaries, eggs - and many orders less than a similar sized serving of cabbage or beans/peas, tofu.

While rBST(recombinant Bovine Somatotropin - bovine growth hormone) was introduced in 1993 as a production tool, un/misinformed public backlash against it has had the result that for all intents and purposes, no dairy producers anywhere in the USA are using it - I’m unaware of any milk processors that will accept milk from dairies using it, because of marketing issues. So… the only ‘hormones’ in milk are those naturally occurring ones (estrogen, progesterone) that have always been there, as they are produced by intact females with functional ovaries.

The purposeful “killing off of the buffalo(bison) to destroy the Indians” is an oft-repeated ‘fact’ that is being revisited, and evidence is strong, IMO, that hunting &/or malicious killing by soldiers or sanctioned by U.S. government agents were probably not responsible for the rapid collapse of Bison populations that almost resulted in extinction of the species.
If you’re willing to consider something beyond ‘historical conventional wisdom’, check this:

Okay; stepping off my soapbox now.