Where to buy (& avoid)

I enjoy sea buckthorn, but it’s not for everyone. It’s like an oily Tang flavour. I’ve purchased the dried fruit and powdered fruit from Omega Fruit (Canada) – she also sells plants, but I think you have to order bulk quantities. I purchase frozen berries from various sources for making juice and cocktails. You can find the juice at Russian/Eastern European groceries but they are loaded with added sugars, which is something I try to avoid. **

Personally, I worry that they would behave too invasively in my region so I’m reluctant to introduce them. In New England they may be a little more subdued, not sure.

2 Likes

I planted a maypop two springs ago. It survived a very cold winter here in 5B okay, but it did indeed seem pretty prone to spreading via roots. The other thing I hadn’t realized at the time is they’re not self-fertile. So you need two non-clones. Since I wasn’t sure if the commercial Maypops are all clones, and the fruit seemed kind of niche, and since I don’t like things that spread that aggressively, I decided to ditch it. On the plus side everything loves the flowers. All kinds of bees and everything were all over them all the time.

1 Like

Thank you!! See, this is why newbies talk to seasoned veterans.

1 Like

Oily tang :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just Fruits & Exotics (FL) is one of my favorites.

I’ve also been happy with:
Edible Landscaping (VA)
One Green World (OR)
Burnt Ridge (WA)
Trees of Antiquity (CA)
Isons (NC)
Maple Valley (WI)
HoneyberryUSA (WI)
Adams County (PA)

4 Likes

Bob Wells/Sorelle Farms has always been excellent. They have a good variety online, but if you’re in Texas they have even more available for pick up. Tons of varieties, good prices, and delightful owners.

Lots of non-fruiting trees too

1 Like

@IntrepidNewbie it’s not quite a citrus flavour – to my tastebuds it is more like that artificial orange flavour. But then they are super oily too.

1 Like

I ordered blueberries from Planting Justice a couple of years ago and received wrong varieties and substandard plants. Maybe they have improved since then, but I won’t order from them again.

1 Like

Welcome to Texas! Try Womack Nursery out of Deleon Tx. if you are looking for fruit trees. It is family owned and I always have good success with them. If you like persimmons, the Eureka is the best and most productive I have found.

2 Likes

I tried Edible Landscaping but their website was bewildering and I gave up. Maybe I’ll check if they have a catalog.

Alpine Strawberries are super cheap and easy to grow from seed. I’ve even just scattered the seed in fall into bare ground and had a carpet of them grow in the spring. I have upwards of 200 plants, all grown from seed, lining many of my paths for a quick easy snack while working in the yard. I can recommend strawberryseedstore.com as having high quality seed of true to type Alpine Strawberry.

3 Likes

Fine for strawberries, but I got some sorry looking Blueberries at Indiana Berry.

Thanks! You convinced me. I just bought some.

I have Javid almonds form Cliff England. They do well for me in zone 6a. However, they are small and hard to crack. Flavor is quite good.

1 Like

You have to keep to your plan on what you want to look for on the Edible Landscaping site and browse after your list is complete. I think I kept one main page open and made new tabs for each new fruit. They are a great nursery, I’ve visited in person.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I have some old maypop fruit outside from last year if you’d like me to send you the seeds. The birds plant them here :slight_smile:

A source I just stumbled across is Monticello, of Thomas Jefferson fame! I can’t vouch for them, but it’s exciting.

I used to do Stark’s and love them, but they priced me out now. My soil is forgiving of most rootstocks.

3 Likes

I have certainly seed nursery websites where it was quite sad to use or contact them. Edible landscaping is a very hard website to navigate compared to a website like Raintree Nursery or Bay Laurel Nursery. There are some nurseries I also just cannot seem to get a hold of over the phone that are big. One Green World has not been answering the phones for at least 2 years now and I have tried to call Trees Of Antiquity plenty of times and they never seem to answer. Now with One Green World they do answer emails and I have not tried to email Trees Of Antiquity but sometimes I do prefer just calling on the phone.

3 Likes

I’ve found Neil to be responsive and helpful via E-mail in the past, typically within a couple of days.

3 Likes