Where to buy big Honeyjar jujube

They do ship. I’m not sure when they started taking orders this year but most items didn’t populate until after January.

Last year my order was for a jujube and 3 other small bushes and shipping came out to around $30. With shipping increases this year that may have also.

" SHIPPING: t this time of year, orders are taking ~4 weeks to ship out after they are placed. When your order ships out from the nursery, you will receive an email notification from us and a tracking number from UPS."

1 Like

was about to click the like button on your post but figured would be awkward

anyway, just saw that too. Tells a lot about supply-and-demand scenario.

jujube is perhaps the easiest to graft/propagate among temperate fruits with very low mortality. Also least costly to maintain since needs little water and zero pesticides. Quite the profit-margin!

Four Winds sells jujus considerably cheaper at ~60$, but unfortunately sold out

Raf,
I have to put my 2 cents in on grafting jujubes. In my limited experience, grafting jujubes rootstocks may be easy but grafting on existing trees have given me mixed results.

Almost all my jujube grafts took in their first year. However, not all came back after their first winter here. It is especially true with grafts are on branches low on the trees or with very short scionwood.

I have much better results grafting into existing trees than I do with rootstocks. I’m figuring that on percentage of takes and the hardiness of the resulting graft. I do think though that the apical dominance on the tree plays a big part and those grafts put low on the tree do not get near the growth. This may make a big difference in being able to manage the winters you have.

1 Like

The ones that did not survive were those grafted on small and low branches. I have had no issue with grafts on higher and bigger branches.

Bigger branches probably can supply more energy to help new grafts survive our winter, I guess.

2 Likes

One of the best sources for the Dave Wilson jujube cultivars (when in season) is Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in NorCal -

1 Like

I’ve had the same experience with grafting jujubes - a much higher percentage of takes on large, established trees. Jujubes also seem unusual to me in that I’ve had several grafts on large, established trees that took and grew modestly only to die during the winter as much as a year or two after grafting. Seems like the only way to know for sure if the jujube graft is going to make it is when it puts out a vigorous vertical shoot that grows well over a foot in length. That can happen immediately after grafting or the following year.

1 Like

(Regarding paw paws) Yes it does exist, I just bought two (seedlings) from A’s and O’s Farm a few months ago (and it has one little fruitlet left on it… at least it did, we just got a huge storm, so who knows what happened to the little guy). Tom had a few for sale at the Paw Paw festival last year too.

I also bought some good sized paw paw seedlings from @Hillbillyhort that are doing well (sorry, no photo at this time).

Edited to say: Before you get excited, Tom doesn’t ship and I don’t think Hillbillyhort does either.