Where to try honeyberries in New England?

I’m interested in growing honeyberries, but my spouse has made the reasonable request that we see how they taste first. Does anyone know of a place in southern NH/eastern MA that is growing and selling them? Or anyone who would be willing to let us come sample some berries?

1 Like

Honeyberry USA sells and ships the frozen fruit. i too bought some to try before planting. they also have sour cherries. i ordered some of both. mixed with some cream and sugar is the best way to sample them imo.

1 Like

Great Northern Berries in North Sandwich NH

2 Likes

Come to my place when they ready :grinning:

2 Likes

Galina,
How do you like Honeyberries? Does it taste similar to blueberries?

3 Likes

I just might take you up on that! When are they typically ready for you?

1 Like

I had them first time last year and I do not remember. But I think they are early enough, somewhere mid-end of June. I will let you know when it is closer to ripening. I will be out on vacation July 1-July 11, but I really hope they will be ready before it.

2 Likes

I like them a lot. And no, they are not even close to blueberries. Their taste is more sharp, great balance of sugar and acid with very light bitterness , much less than I remember from my childhood. You are invited to try too - if they will perform. They blooming well, but not much pollinators…

1 Like

It sound interesting. Need to learn more about it from you.

Since I know where you live, I can help you “harvest” while you are away :rofl:

2 Likes

Actually, I can take up on that offer. If I have something to be picked while I am out, I will ask you :smiley:. I have a whole plan on how to handle 11 days absence - it includes two neighbors, and now you!

2 Likes

I’ve got 6 bushes planted last year that gave me a handful of berries, as well as 4 additional bushes planted this year. The older 6 bushes have bloomed well and I’d expect berries. You’re welcome to come sample.

It’d be a longer trip than you’d hoped, but maybe you could combine with a visit to Newport.

Of course that assumes that I can protect the berries from birds and leave them on the bushes long enough to get fully ripe.

2 Likes

Unless you net them, the birds will be happy to help you pick honeyberries. They get most of mine each year.

3 Likes

They are not netted. They are CAGED!!! Like animals in the zoo. :grin:

I will install the top when they finish to flower.

5 Likes

Anytime. Harvest is a fun part of growing fruit. Just let me know.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same experience as Bob. Since there’s nothing else ripe at the time, the birds go after them even well before they’ve really ripened up. And netting is a bit tricky because a lot of them seem to have a droopy spreading habit.

2 Likes

If you get a batch of frozen, try them a few ways. Mine are older bushes, so apparently more tart than some of the newer ones.
We have found they work really well in smoothies, pancakes or muffins. For pies, mixed berry or custard were the better versions. It’s easier to compensate for the tartness if they are mixed in or only used as accents.
Did a black raspberry/haskap jelly last year that was really tasty.

2 Likes

@JesseinMaine that looks like a great spot! I may have to drive up there this spring/summer.

@steveb4 Good call! I’d forgotten about that. That will be a good option if the local harvest falls through, or if I want to try other varieties.

@BobVance @SMC_zone6 I have seen that can be an issue, but I find the fact that they’ll be about the only fruit available at that time as valuable as the birds do. So, I’m willing to give them a shot (knowing that I might not get much).

1 Like

@galinas Holy cow! You built a house for your honeyberries. I can fully relate to this level of hobby obsession!. I am hoping to plant enough for both the birds and my family to get their fill.

2 Likes

Great if you can. I would, if I have space - but these two bushes all I can afford. And it would be one, if they would be self-pollinated, so I have to keep the berries for myself :grinning:

2 Likes

We use Lee Valley, bird safe nets and they work pretty well.
Netting or other coverage is needed here since cedar waxwings send out scouts and flocks will show up and strip the bushes clean.
Even with the nets some of the robins will work really hard to sneak in. The appearance of purple poop lets me know if they are succeeding.
( watching the resident robins freaking out about the waxwings can be pretty funny)

1 Like