Where Will You Order From Fall 2016-Spring 2017

I would like to find a nanking that puts out a decent amount of fruit and grows well in the hot humid GA summers. It sounds like nankings are drought tolerant once established and the perfect size for a summer privacy hedge. Which varieties would you suggest?

Raintree (they owe me a Flavor Supreme)
Nourse for Strawberries & Raspberries (transitioning to earlier varieties)
An an early peach from somewhere (maybe ACN or TOA)

I wish online nurseries wouldn’t block access to their catalog descriptions after the varieties are sold out for the season or they stop accepting orders

I like to browse through the possibilities and compare them during the off season when I’m thinking what I might like to buy - and I’m more likely to buy from the sellers who let me do this

5 Likes

Nanking are hardy zone 3-7 does Georgia have hotter weather? Carmine Jewell are hardy to zone 2-7 and produce more abundant cherries.

If I find more places for jujubes, I may order from Trees of Antiquity or Just Fruits and Exotics. But I really think that I won’t add too much this time. I know I said the same thing last year at this time and I ended up adding 32 trees.

I agree in general about them, but I was very pleased with 2 Euro plums from them this year. They were big, both above and below. They’ve put on good growth- even better than the trees from the Arboreum planted nearby, which are also very nice.

I’ve been pretty happy with the K1 rootstocks from Raintree. I’ve been grafting peaches, Euro plums, and apricots to them. I’ve gotten more growth from the apricots on them, than I have from established trees (maybe that’s just an indictment of the established tree…).

What is it that OGW does well with? The jujubes I got from them were pretty small and expensive.

I’m also tempted to add a few muscadines, but that will depend at least partly on how well the ones I already have do (I’m not sure how well they will fruit for me). Ideally, I’d like to fine one which is a bit hardier.

1 Like

I have never ordered plants from them which are available locally or I can obtain directly from the propagator; e.g. DWN, LaVerne, Four Winds, Durling. I have obtained very good specimens of northwest native berries plus eastern Aronias and small fruits of east Asia. Ten years ago I was purchasing 200+ plants per year from their wholesale division for nursery stock.

It gets pretty warm in Georgia and I think we are in 7A. Will hot humid summers cause issues with either variety? I’m looking to use these as a privacy hedge during the summer.

I will order from Ison’s nursery for a 4 in 1 cherry and 4 in 1 plum as I don’t have much space left. Also add some berries from indianaberry.

1 Like

Mickster,
This is about the cheapest way to find out how carmine jewell will do there http://www.michiganbulb.com/product/carmine-jewel-cherry-65871/edibles. I think you will be ok with those. I don’t think nanking will work out for you. CJ is a tougher, more productive, better hedge, more disease tolerant etc. There are conflicting reports but some people say Carmine Jewell can handle zone 8 Dwarf Sour Cherry, Sour Cherries, Dwarf Sour Cherries for sale. Depending on how big of a hedge your putting in you might switch to ordering from honeyberry because if it’s 10 bushes the price goes down to being competitive and the bushes are slightly larger.

I’m not sure the 4 in 1 trees are a great option. I got one from Raintree last year that had poor branch angles – it also ended up dying because of how badly the roots were hacked up, but that’s another story. I think it’s better to be patient and order a single tree with plans for grafting it at the height you want and with better scaffolding structure.

1 Like

Another option is to check out Home Depot in the spring and see if they have one which works for you. If it has some varieties you don’t want, they can be grafted over. The ones I saw this year were pretty nice looking. And if none of the multi-grafts looks good, you could get a normal plum (which were also pretty large) and graft over them.

I wouldn’t normally suggest HD for trees, but if you want to add a bunch of varieties (not all of which may be properly labeled) and a large tree that you can examine before buying, it is a reasonable option.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. My only concern is about how hard/easy to graft cherry and plum trees. My impression is those are pretty hard to do, maybe they are much easier than peach/apricot.

@BobVance HD trees may also work as they do offer pretty big ones here, but the cultivar is limited.

The 4-1 plum I got from Raintree has done pretty well

Not sure I’d get it if I had it to do over again, because I’d look for better varieties

James,
I have grafted apple, pear, plum, cherry, apricot, persimmon, nectarine and peach, Plum is as easy as apples and pear. I got better luck this year with cherry.

For me, peach is the hardest.

1 Like

Good to know. I only grafted persimmons and apples this year as first time grafter. Will definitely try something else. Thanks.

Might try an HW 272 peach from Raintree. More Darrow Blackberries from Wallace-Woodstock. Looking for a Governor Wood, Early Purple Guigne or Coe’s Transparent Cherry. One Green World and Arboreumco have had them in the past, but not every year. Russet Apple scionwood, maybe from Fedco.

1 Like

Home Depot can be a great option. I bought four apple trees last year that were in excellent condition plus marked down to $10 each. I mostly reserved these for incoming scion swaps. All four have taken the grafts and done well. The four trees were potted in approximately three gallon containers and in better condition than any I have ever ordered. I do think one must be careful buying these trees because at this time of the year some are labeled incorrectly and some have suffered from improper care.

1 Like

Just placed my first-ever order with Adams County Nursery.

-(1) Arctic Glo white nectarine on Lovell
-(1) Rich May yellow peach on Lovell
-(1) Sugar May white peach on Lovell
-(1) Fantasia yellow nectarine on Lovell
-(1) Methley plum on Myro

They have a 5 tree minimum for small orders, or else you get charged a penalty fee. They are usually sold out of their rarer varieties, but this time they finally had a critical mass of available goodies making it worth my while.

2 Likes

I placed an order with Century Farm Orchards for:
1 King David apple
1 Rev Morgan apple
1 GoldRush apple
1 Hopples or Hooples… apple
1 Dixie Red Delight apple
1 Weston crabapple
1 Warren pear
1 black Violette, assuming it’s a Violette de Bordeaux

I live near Austin. I have a few growing challenges, especially for apples, so keep your fingers crossed.

If useful and for context, I chose each variety based upon recommendations here, Scotts Fave apples list, just a bunch of research at the various vendors, David Vernon’s support and Kuffel Creek.

Beginning with climate in mind, each apple seemed to have a solid reputation and proven performance in warm climates. Where someone had a super strong experience (Scott’s lists) normally that provided a tie breaker. The dialogue on this forum regarding Warren pear time to bear gives me significant concern, but the quality of Warren otherwise just seemed so compelling. I tossed a fig into the mix, probably wisely, since they do so well here in Central TX. The crabapple was a random inclusion mainly inspired by eating a few Chestnut crabapple carried here in a local grocery. Wickson seemed like a better choice for our climate.

My challenges include thin soils over caliche limestone mix. I’ll need to punch through that. I have some minor concern that I’ll hit some bedrock. From a disease standpoint for apples, I worry about Cotton Root Rot, some local menace that I still don’t quite understand. It could end my apple orchard before it begins.

The fig will do great.