Where Will You Order From Fall 2016-Spring 2017

Have you considered the Yates apple?

Yep, Good suggestion. I liked it too; but ran out of room and $ this year. I consider it a grafting target down the line. And, reallly I do have some risk with cotton root rot being possible. Hanging tight for now.

Yates, in fairness, I probably should have given it more thought. I think it was recommended to me, if I recall. Others that I considered ranged from Fuji and Gala because I doubt that I’ve ever experienced the best these have offer and so many here rave over their own home grown. I gave Hokuto a lot of thought based upon recommendation, being a Mutsu and Fuji cross, but couldn’t find enough info on it to feel confident enough to devote one of my four selections to it. That was before I went a little crazy and made it 6. I spent a lot of time looking at Winecrisp on Cummins site, but again did not find a lot of love for it. Nothing negative, though. The ones that got away that I have some regret not choosing include Yates, Suncrisp, Rubinette (I once had a Cox, but was relocated before I harvested anything) and Kidd’s. Fluffy Bunny has an awesome post regarding being an epicure and building trees from primary families like GD or Cox. I really enjoyed that post. And, coming back to Fuji, I wonder if I missed a primary selection here.

The sites Kuffel Creek, Big Horse and Century were terrific helping guide the decision. I think my selection of King David was entirely inspired by Kevin’s experiences At Kuffel Creek.

I’m sure there were others I lost sleep over. Pomme Gris now comes to mind, though I don’t recall whether it is a solid selection for the serious heat in our area.

2 Likes

And, my wonderful wife thinks I’m nuts ordering 6 apple trees when one would do.

1 Like

Isn’t Yates more of a cider apple? I got a few this year and they are very small. I am definitely looking forward to them for cider though.

I just know from the literature that it’s one that can withstand and thrive under hot southern conditions.

Well, first of all, you can’t JUST have one. You need at least two so they can pollinate each other. But best make it three, because if one of the two dies, where will you be?

So you need three, but one of the three is a triploid, so same logic applies, what if one dies and it’s only a triploid and another apple?

So you need at least four.

But now you have four, but of the three that produce pollen, you have an early, a middle, and a late bloomer…and the mid bloomer is a poor pollen producer…

So you have to get two more just so your bases are all covered to make sure everything is pollinated correctly, and you’re not screwed if something decides to die on you…

Really, the way I look at it, six is a minimum!

7 Likes

VSOP,

Well said!

I ordered two Honey Jar jujubes from Raintree Nursery for my brother in law. They are still in stock if anyone is interested in ordering them.

Tony

1 Like

You might need another pear to pollinate Warren.

I agree. I figured I’d see what’s avail in the nursery trade here around Austin. I’ve seen Ayers, Moonglow, Kieffer and a few others. I’ve liked what I’ve read about Harrow pears, but at about 600 chill hours locally, they may not be successful here. Potomac? We’ll see.

I don’t plan to plant many more trees next year but as usual will do a lot of grafting. A few things that I would like to get are Pixie Crunch apple, Harrow Sweet pear, and Artic Glo nectarine. I don’t see myself buying anymore cherry although I’ll graft some more next spring. Tomcot apricot is high up my list too but I’ll be able to graft that.

1 Like

Raintree and One green world.

Varieties I ordered for this spring from Adams County are:

Silver Gem nect
PF 19-007
PF Early Eight Ball
Danube cherry

Some of the varieties I budded this fall:

Ernies Choice
Spring Snow
Glohaven
Julyprince
Augustprince
Wisconsin Balmer

1 Like

I’m debating between Tropical Treat, Halvin and Summer Delight pawpaws from England’s nursery.

I really don’t have room, but I’ll find a place.

Anyone got a reason to pick one over the others?

Scott

Probably will get a few more apples and a pear from Cummins. And maybe some peaches and cherries from ACN, if their inventories improve.

I just got a paper catalog from Wallace Woodstock out of Wisconsin. They have all kinds of fruit, nut, and other trees, along with some berry plants. But prob won’t get anything from them though, as they don’t deliver until May, and their prices have gone up.

I would like to get some blueberry, raspberry and maybe some strawberry plants, thinking I may try Nourse Nurseries. Heard good things about them.

The big issue is not getting more trees than I did last year. It’s not that we don’t have the space, it’s whether I can tend to so many trees. My wife seems to think we have enough as it is now.

A quick question about buying strawberry plants. Nourse has prices of certain varieties at $12 per 25 plants, $18 per 50, and so on. Are these plants real small bare root types, and about how much fruit can one expect per plant?

In regards to blueberry plants they say that they’re about $8 for a year and a half old plant. What would be the size of a plant this age, maybe a foot or two tall? And, what would typically be the output per plant at maturity? I know it varies according to the variety, I was just looking for a ballpark figure. Thanks.

Don’t know what you mean by “real small”

Their plants are bare-root, and you have to expect to wait til the next year for the maximum harvest

I would much rather plant plugs in the fall, but this option is apparently reserved for others

I was just wondering how big a strawberry plant typically is, and how much does one plant usually produce.

I would probably plant them next spring, as I need to get soil samples done, and any amendments, if necessary.

We actually have about 20 plants in the ground from this spring, but don’t know how many are actually still going. They’re kind of under some weeds right now. I’m going to weed them and see what we actually have. But I think I want to add some more plants regardless.

1 Like

Achers home, Tennossoui and southern king have great reputations for doing well in the Houston area. I’m convinced Goden Boy is self fertile. It’s a low chill pear with great fresh eating qualities that does well in S Georgia and North Florida. It blooms young. You will likely get pears from it before you do Warren if what I hear about Warren being slow to mature holds true.

5 lbs or more.