Where Will You Order From Fall 2016-Spring 2017

Well, a good bareroot plant is mostly root - about 3 inches long - with a small crown. When mature, a plant can be say 8 inches in diameter. But they take up more space because the runners set new plants - in a year or so you have to pull them out

I’ve never counted the berries from a single plant, but a row of 25 plants will yield gallons at maturity, over about 3 weeks

I ordered a Blizzard, a Beauty, and an Indigo Gem Haskap, plus a Ken’s Red kiwi from Honeyberry, U.S.A. for spring delivery. I was impressed with the size of the Aurora Haskap berries I planted a year ago, so decided to try these new varieties. I have at least 7 other varieties to use for pollenization that aren’t all very impressive varieties.

Albemarle Ciderworks aka Vintage Virginia Apples just opened their online catalog today (20 Nov 2016).

https://www.albemarleciderworks.com/product-catalog

They are the only commercial source of the Oldmixon Free peach. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd year in a row that they are not propagating it. In fact, they have no peaches at all this year. They stopped making peach trees due to some disease scare, and that operation appears to have discontinued.

Nevertheless, they are offering all sorts of special goodies, including what appears to be the true strain of Green Gage plum.

https://www.albemarleciderworks.com/product/trees/green-gage-plum-tree

My potted Red Silk pomegranate will arrive today from Edible Landscaping.

It will be a “gift” for my wife.

Hey Rod sorry I just saw this thread. I used to grow apples and pears in the Austin area also for several years including Warren. A few things about that. I think Warren is a real dog sorry to say but may be useful if its on quince rootstock maybe. My best most reliable pears were Moonglo and Leconte. I think Dabney would be really good down there if you can find it (Raintree I think). Moonglo will pollinate Warren but Warren wont pollinate Moonglo because it produces no useable pollen sooooo you will need to add a third! An Asian like Chojuro or Tennosui would be good too. I had Ayers for nine years and it produced a whopping one year only for me due to lack of chill and still it is on Texas A and M recommended lists. Lots of other hard to find pears are good for your area as well.

Apples: I didn’t have much luck at all with apples but I didn’t do what you have done and do a proper job researching varieties. I think you will do better than me with what you ordered. I had Fuji, Mollies Delicious and a few others all on m111 for 7 or 8 years I think. Nothing ever produced at all. Don’t know why. Others have had success in low chill high heat areas but not me. Don’t know why. I did hear reports of others being successful with Gala and on the northern end of the area (Liberty Hill) I knew someone who had luck with Granny Smith. I will say that I never had any cottony root rot but I knew a few others that did. Lots of variables here and I wish you luck. Keep us up to speed on how things go. I hope my experiences can help out if even just a little.

Thanks,
Drew

1 Like

Drew,
I nearly instantly regretted ordering Warren after reading much of the disappointment with it on this forum. I may not live long enough to see it deliver, though I’m not that old. I figured as much about Ayers, steering clear. Leconte is a good thought, though. I did see that recently. Also, looking at Seckel and Orient as options since Warren may take forever to produce…

I received the trees last week with healthy root systems. I realize apples are a bit of a gamble. So we’ll see. If I had to pick one that I expect will do the best, I figure it’ll be Goldrush, but maybe not as vigorous as originally thought.

More to come.

@applenut has had success with Warren in SoCal.

For me Sickle didn’t do well either. Same as Ayres one year to produce. Orient did great but isn’t as good maybe as the others but is very reliable and good for preserves and such. Pineapple is a good one too and should be easy to find.

I bet you’ll do better with apples you chose than I did. Sounds like you did your homework for sure.

1 Like

Didn’t realize that Matt. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in. I would love to hear what He is doing diffrent than the rest of us.

My wife’s unboxed Red Silk pomegranate from Edible Landscaping of Virginia.

5 Likes

Any of you that have large gardens or market garden owe it to yourself to check out Jordan seeds in the Twin Cities. They specialize in wholesale seed for market gardeners and have a wide selection of both new and heirloom varieties. Prices are very competitive!

1 Like

Does anyone have any experience with Plant Me Green online Nursery? The selection is limited (especially now) but many of the prices are just insanely low! In fact, they are so low that it makes me a little suspicious. All the reviews on Dave’s Garden are a year or more old, but the positives and neutrals FAR outway the negatives. Overall, the “scoop” on www.Plantmegreen.com looks pretty good. I do have lots of concerns- no information about rootstocks is given, for example. Perhaps they will provide it on request but that’s a little strange. Many of the pecans and other nuts are so cheap that I’m left to wonder if they are just seedlings? Again, I’m sure they can answer that on request, but its a little concerning that they don’t just tell it up front. Even Lowe’s Pecan Trees come with a huge tag saying “These trees are not grafted, they are seedlings”.

In spite of all the aforementioned concerns, with the generally good reviews and ESPECIALLY because of the low prices, I’m likely to pick up a tree or two, unless some of you have some nightmare stories to tell about this place. If so, please do so!
THanks

Always have had a good experience with Burnt Ridge and ordering from them again. I’ll be getting a number of Autumn Olives, Northline Serviceberry, Sunshine Blue Blueberry, Alenia Almond scion and a Silk Hope scion.

2 Likes

Hey Kevin, I ordered some trees from PMG last year. I got 8 pecan and 2 pear whips from them. The pecans were skinny 3ft whips, maybe 7/16" caliper, and the pears’ were a bit thicker, one was maybe a 9/16", and the other 11/16".

They were packed well, the pecans didn’t have a lot of small roots on them, but had a large taproot, which from what I’ve read about pecans is normal. The pears had a decent rootball.

The thicker pear took off, it put on a lot of vertical growth and branching. The thinner one hardly did anything at all. The pecans didn’t do so great, a few threw out some green sprigs, but that was about it. Two of them actually didn’t even make it thru their first summer. I don’t know how they have fared over this winter. The pears appear to be starting to put out some new green buds.

From what I’ve heard about bare root pecans, their transplant success rate is not that great, so losing two out of eight isn’t that shocking.

They do have the rootstock info buried on some other page, I had to dig into the site to find it, but here it is, on the bottom of the page:

Basically apples are on M111, peaches and plums on Nemaguard, pears on Callery, and pecans on Caddo rootstocks. I was tempted to get some peaches from them, but I don’t think Nemaguard is recommended for our area.

Hey folks. I wanted to let you know something I just discovered about ordering from Henry Fields. I just put a bunch of things in my cart (yes, I’m still ordering stuff …crazy as it is!) 2 days ago. Had I gone ahead and ordered at the same time, my items would have cost right at $160.00. But I just left them in my cart and was going to come back and finish order. Well, the day AFTER I put things in my cart, I got an e-mail from them saying "we noticed you put things in your cart but didn’t complete order, so we wanted to offer you an incentive to do so. THey then offered me shipping of $6.95 for everything. Before that my shipping was $17.50. Well, I didn’t get that offer until last night so I thought I’d place my order today. Guess what? They e-mailed me again and said they wanted to offer another incentive. This time, they offered FREE SHIPPING AND \10% off everything on the site. Wow. So my original $160 order is now going to cost about $128 ! That’s a pretty good deal. They have 3 romance cherries and some apricots and Yumm Yumm nectarines and other fun things. Here is my order:

Consort Black Currant

Item # 86093
This item Ships in Spring.
$8.99
Honeysweet™ and Sunrise™ Honeyberries - Honeysweet™ Honeyberry

Item # 39821
$15.29
Jostaberry

Item # 73533
$8.99
Juliet Dwarf Cherry

Item # 94742
$22.49
Manchurian Bush Apricot

Item # 13209
$8.99
Mericrest Nectarine Tree - Mericrest Nectarine Tree - Standard 2-4 ft.

Item # 08070
$13.49
Pixwell Gooseberry

Item # 13163
$8.99
Saskatoon Blueberry - Saskatoon Blueberry - 12-18 in.

Item # 08511
$8.09
Yumm Yumm™ Nectarine Tree - Yumm Yumm™ Nectarine Tree - Standard 2-4 ft.

Item # 69889
$22.49

3 Likes

There is one thing you will quickly learn after ordering from Henry Fields is that your email will get bombarded daily with offers from them. Sometimes multiple emails per day. So.eyimes their deals are pretty decent and it’s always easy to find shipping discounts with the. Often the provide free shipping with $40 purchase.

great! I hate places that spam you to death after an order. No more than they carry, its not a place I will be wanting to check on a lot, so I’ll probably just block them after my order- thanks for that info. It was actually your Juliet tree that convinced me to give them a try. The tree you got was larger than mine AFTER it went through a whole growing season last year. (It started as a 10 inch whip from honeyberry USA). Hope they have some that nice still in stock.

BTW- I just looked at your list again. I’d forgotten you had so many pluots/apriums. Are most of those full trees or just grafts? Any of them survive your frost?

1 Like

They give you the option to unsubscribe from their mailing list so if it’s gets bad enough you can try that. As for pluots I have FK, FQ, and DD in the ground. FG and FS are grafted. Not a single bloom from my pluots, plums, or Nadia survived the cold.

On a positive note, my peaches and nects will produce barring another bad freeze. Blooms on Scarlett Prince just started popping today.

I thought I lost 100% of apricots but I noticed a few viable buds on Goldcot today

2 Likes

Hey City! Since I am 60 miles or so west of you and on the same N/S parallel I am anxious to hear your report of your orchard this year. I believe many of your fruit trees are in their 3-4 year. Is that correct? I understand the last freeze may have hurt the early flowering stuff but nonetheless it’s seems you have quite a large sample size of fruit trees of which one in a similar area could gain valuable info from. Thanks in advance! Zack

Isn’t Goldcot one of those cold hardy apricots? Will this be the first year you get any fruit from it, barring any more freezes?

1 Like