Which is the best low chill cherry for N. Florida? Zone 8b

I decided to pass on cherries and instead have some fun planting 4 different avocados this week.

1 Like

@figerama

I’ve thought about that too, like a self fertile Little Cado avocado , but I know for sure that means protecting it multiple times each winter.

If I ever were to build a greenhouse, I would do it just to grow a few dwarf tropicals. Avocado, mango, star fruit, etc. That’s a bigger project than I think I’m up to at the moment!

1 Like

So received and planted my two low chill cherries…Royal Lee and Minnie Royal.

We’ll see how they grow.

One thing I will say, often like these two trees the dormant buds seems to be dried out or rubbed off. It’s hard to know where to prune to get an outward facing bud because I can’t tell/see any viable buds. Hopefully some are hiding, otherwise the initial branching will need to be removed and I will have to start over from where the nursery did their cuts.

2 Likes

So as I was looking at the two just planted trees for buds… I thought… Let me see if any of what I just cut off has viable buds.

So I did 3 chip/bud grafts with the best candidates. I know chip and bud grafting is usually done in late summer or early fall, but I figured why not try.

I won’t loose anything by trying.

PS chip grafting seems to be easier to do than dormant grafting like tongue and groove and cleft. It’s easier to wrap with just parafilm since the branch is intact above the graft and you can hold it against the tension of the parafilm.

Less work and less dangerous to my fingers! Still not totally healed from my last finger graft, uh, scion graft. :sweat_smile:

1 Like