Which of these is the true Ant Admire jujube?

I have three trees that produce three completely different types of fruit. Does anyone know which is the true Ant Admire?

2 Likes

Shengrui Yao thinks the two on the left are Ant Admire, They are also the tastiest of the three.

2 Likes

Castanea,

You are the Jujube Hoarder!!! But a good one.

Tony

2 Likes

i agree with Prof. Yao, but of course it is only from our perspective. Hard to say nowadays which ones are what they are being sold as…
below are some ripe ant admire jujus we obtained from rollingriver and another juju enthusiast who says he obtained it from Roger M, with some size and shape variances, but generally ovoid/elongated.

we are currently loading a bazillion photos to our book’s webpage. In alphabetical order, so ant admire being the first uploaded

3 Likes

With my three trees there is almost no variation at all within each tree. All of the fruit on the first tree look like the first two fruits, all of the fruits on the second tree look like the second two fruits etc. None of them look like the three on the left in your photo. Two of my trees are from Roger. This is really odd.

the paradox is that the more we learn about jujus, the more we realize how clueless we are about certain aspects…
our ant admires generally show up as the two middle ones shown in my posted picture. They may get fat-bottomed or super-elongated, but generally mid-sized cylindrical shapes.
forgot to ask, are your trees relatively thornless? Our ant admires have vestigial thorns.

Good question about the thorns. I will check tomorrow. It’s too dark now.

if it has long thorns, then there may well be 4 different ant admire’s being circulated out there – and that is just between the two of us!

ayayay…

the name ultimately won’t matter much, since all that matters is whether or not the fruits are good quality.

reminds me of the lyrics to the song – “late december 1963, don’t even know her name, but what a lady, what a night” lol

Two have no thorns at all. One has tiny thorns.

seems like the left-most ant admire jujus in your picture are the same as what we have, considering the relative thornlessness of all your grafts

2 Likes

Oddly enough, one of these Ant Admire trees has a rootstock sprout that I missed that has very nice fruit, slightly tangy with decent amount of sweetness-

5 Likes

clearly a seedling from a domesticated variety, and is one more nice thing about the toughness of this species, since nurseries and buyers don’t have to worry about issues which need to be addressed specifically with m1, emla, citation, etc, and just use random juju seedlings.

with jujus-- the rootstoc may be a de novo cultivar “bonus”. And if it has a tendency to sucker, the buyer of the tree could dig them up and sell as a desirable cultivar on their own roots, which could fetch a good price with less labor since there’s no need to graft.

3 Likes