Which plants to use Horticulture Oil and Copper on?

Here is a list of everything in my garden, and those soon to arrive in the mail.

I am in central KY, Zone 6B. Somewhat hot and humid summers.

I am rushing to do my dormant spraying now before things open. Should I use the Horticulture Oil & Copper Fungiside mix on everthing, or is it bad and to be avoided on some of these? Or just unneccessary on some?

Apples
Apricots
Pears
Asian Pears
Plums
Aronia
Honeyberry
Lilac (my lilacs got covered with some white powerd last year, my first year in this new property.
Peaches
Grapes
Blueberries
Almond
Cherries
Goji
Asian Persimon
Mulberry
Elderberry
Japanese Flowering Apricot/Plum/ Ume/Mume
Grapes

Thank you all for your advice!

John in Lancaster, KY

1 Like

Except the apricot, you should be able to use copper spray on the rest as long as they are all still in dormant. I also spray peonies with copper to control the powerdery mildew. Read the instruction and usages first. Different plants may use different amount of copper

Still dormant? I have 4 inches tender shoots on honeyberries one county from him.
Unless I can manage a little spraying of dormant oil today on some apples, the opportunity may be gone real soon.

Edit : got the hand sprayer ready…the big Arkansas Black tree probably gets skipped, and smaller ones get one side as it’s too breezy to spray into the breeze. Gotta be someplace else next couple days, then more rains.

It’s ok to spray copper & dormant oil on apricots.

1 Like

Good to have another Kentuckian on the forum!

Thanks for clarifying. I actually use both copper and lime sulphur on apricot and other fruit trees/berry, roses as dormant spray. I didn’t see any obvious damage to the plants. I don’t combine it with oil. Lime sulphur, I use 3~5Be. Copper, I use Bordueax. Once the plants leaf out, they are more sensitive to copper and lime sulphur so the application has to be more cautious

I only spray copper if I have a known problem. Leaf curl on peach trees is one example. Copper does build up in the soil.

3 Likes

Hi Annie,
Why can you treat peaches but not apricot both are stonefruit? Please advise
Dennis
Kent, wa

I’ve never had to spray

Goji
Mulberry
Elderberry
Persimmons
Aronia
Honeyberry
Concord grapes

2 Likes

I’ve only planted a single Aprium (which hasn’t leafed out yet), so I’m not an expert, but Apricots are supposed to be extremely sensitive to sulfur.

1 Like

I use copper when it is not appropriate to use Chlorothalonil, and Myclobutanil is not effective. I am mostly using it on peaches, pears, and cane berries. I will be spraying copper on the two trees that showed plum pocket fungus last year, as well as my russet Comice that seems more susceptible to rust than my Bosc. The copper seems to prevent most PLC fungus, and cures my cane berries when temperatures are still too cold for Myclobutanil to work properly.

As far as I know, dormant oil is appropriate for most deciduous fruit trees.

I use copper for all. Just few days ago I was asking lime sulphur spray and was advice not spray lime sulphur on apricot. I was mixed up copper spray and lime sulphur spray.
I use both copper and lime sulphur for dormant spray. It may be different strengths of the spray that causes issues on apricot .

1 Like

Thanks Annie for the clarification
Dennis

1 Like