Which trees will you plant in 2019?

I don’t know for sure, there’s some posts on the forum that discuss the compatibility of certain species.

I do know you can graft peaches, nects, pluots to a wild plum. I have a transplanted wild plum in my yard that survived and fruited this year. I’m going to use it as a platform for some peaches/J plums/pluots in the future.

The only grafting I’ve ever done is three apple bench grafts. They survived and are in pots in the cellar. I’ll transplant those next year. Never tried any other grafting, so I don’t know how my Frankenplum experiment will go.

We’re in northeast KY, folks get peaches about once every 3-4 years.

Yes,Apricots grow very well on Peach root stock.bb

1 Like

Whew, I thought I had read that but got a little nervous there for a minute.
thanks Brady

What’s the limiting factor of peaches where you live?

My peach trees aren’t real big yet, but still have bloomed, usually in late March or early April. There always seems to be a hard freeze sometime in April, or even May (both '16 and '17). In late winter of '17, we had an unseasonably warm few weeks, and that woke the trees up early, hence they got fried in April. Three of the trees are big enough to produce a few fruit next year, if they get through the frosts o.k.

I planted three pluots back in March, and they grew pretty well, despite being attacked by J beetles in the summer and deer this fall. I’ll be lucky to get any fruit off them due to freezes, but thought I might get lucky once in a while.

Apples and pears seem to wait until mid to late April here to bloom, and usually do well. At least the old apple trees here on the farm do. Our newly planted apples and pears haven’t produced yet, but some should next year.

The 5ft wild plum I transplanted last year did bloom and fruit this year. But, I didn’t spray and most the fruit got too buggy. The few that didn’t did not have a good flavor, but maybe I picked them too early. But like I said, I’m not growing it for the wild plums.

1 Like

Dax had chart in this thread:

1 Like

I will plant more apples and a couple Jujubees. And we’ll see what else. And graft some more, placing them in containers for awhile.

I’m going to plant in pots till fall, then set them out, a Golden Russet, a Granny Smith, A Sweet Sixteen, 2 Gold Rush, 4 Honey Crisp,2 Macoun,3 Northern Spy, all grafted on B9 root stock grafted to M111. on my Frankin tree, I’m adding pink pearl, winter red, scarlet surprise, braeburn, alexander, charette, golden grimes, king of Tomkins county, pound sweet, redfield, st,lawrence. also am planting a Milo Gibson on P118 rootstock way out on the corner of the property, there used to be an old crabapple there that finally fell a couple yr ago.

2 Likes

Oh, is that all? Lol. Sounds like you’ve got a lot of work ahead.

TFN

I am planting a mulberry this year and I would like to graft apricots, plums, nectarines and peaches. I have Montrose and a two seed grown apricots plus scion from Harglow and Goldcot. For peaches I have Reliance and Contender but would like to graft a cold hardy white peach and nectarines. If anyone has suggestions on the best cold hardy nectarines and peaches I would appreciate the input. The same goes for plums.

1 Like

I’m planning to plant Meyer lemons, Persian limes, a couple more satsuma oranges, an olive tree, lots of fig trees, possibly another pear tree, raspberries and a couple more jujube trees.

2 Likes

I’m in zone 5b in Illinois. I see you’re in Scarborough but I don’t know if that’s Maine or Canada. You might clarify that on your profile for everyone.

Here is that list of peaches:

Peach Picks for Aledo Illinois from Mark/Olpea August 2017

Considering you are farther north than I, my recommendations might be a bit different for your area, vs. what I might consider “must haves” for someone farther south.

If I lived in central IL, I’d probably plant peaches fairly hardy. The following peaches I consider hardy, produce the best in frosty springs, and taste good. From earliest to latest. Some of these are patented.

Earlystar- There are hardier early peaches (like Harrow Diamond) but I’ve found Earlystar somewhat hardy in my area and tastes considerably better than Harrow Diamond. Earlystar also performs fairly well in challenging spring weather

Surecrop- Good hardiness and excellent performance in poor spring weather.

Risingstar-Ripens a few days after Surecrop and tastes better. While Risingstar has performed well for me in frosty springs, it’s not performed as well as Surecrop after a cold winter.

Saturn-If you like white peaches, this is a sweet white donut I’ve found a hardy and regular producer

Clayton- I don’t have much experience with this peach, so any concrete recommendation would be pre-mature, but so far this one looks promising.

Redhaven- Hardy and reliable. This would qualify as a “must have” in my opinon.

Challenger-Not a lot of experience on this one either, but so far looks very good and it reported to be very hardy.

Allstar- Hardy here and very productive every year.

Glohaven- Ripens with Allstar, but not as hardy. Tastes better than Allstar.

Intrepid- I have very little experience with this one. I have about 5 trees of this one, but they are still young. I mention it because it may be a very hardy and productive selection. It was developed in the same breeding program as Challenger and Contender, and supposed to be as hardy. This may be a variety you would want to take a look at.

Contender-A must have for anyone in a colder environment.

Veteran-Ripens with Contender. Very winter hardy but not as big or red as Contender

Scarletprince-Not a lot of experience, but may be winter hardy and seems productive in frosty springs. High quality very tasty fruit.

Julyprince-A little more experience and ditto all the comments about Scarletprince.

Baby Crawford- Hardy and very productive here.

Madison-A lot like Veteran, but ripens a week later

PF25-Hardy and productive, larger than Madison.

Redskin-Lots of experience with this one. Hardy and very productive. Doesn’t color very well.

Encore-Hardy and fairly productive, but have had trouble getting this one to reach acceptable levels of sugar.

PF35-007-Hardy and very productive. Good flavor. A very quality late season peach.

Maybe that’s more recommendations than you wanted, but I think any of the above would be suitable for your area.

And edits to that list coming from Mark/Olpea

Glohaven Zone 6A or above. Too much bud kill in Kansas.

Clayton Zone 6A or above. Too much bud Kill in Kansas

3 Likes

Thank you Barkslip. I updated my location. I live in Scarborough, Maine. I would also like to ask you if you have scion available? I would like to get a white peach and vary the ripening times to lengthen my fruiting season.

Hi Swizzle,

I have tons of ‘Saturn’ wood. Any others on that list I grafted this Spring on bareroot seedlings of thinner caliper and likely do not have wood available. You should create a new topic in the Trading Post section asking for scions that you’ve selected from that above list, but please feel free to shoot a message my way should you need any Saturn.

Dax

Veteran and Madison do well for me in NE Ohio zone 5. Fedco (located in Maine) is selling Madison this year. Contender, Madison, and Veteran all have similar ripening dates, though, within a week or two.

1 Like

This spring I plan to get my 90c persimmon rootstock seedlings in the ground for expanding my hybrid trees and adding experimental Kaki and Virginia scion, transplant my pawpaw rootstock and grape cuttings and maypop and fig and orange and rose and apple and cherry from my seed bed, further cultivate my year old trees and improve on deer protections!
Honey Jar Jujube, Jin Chang, a second Che type, Yates Persimmon, and a few other things are on spring order! Fig cuttings are growing, HC, RDB, Sunfire, Smith. And R8 pomegranite.
But mostly i need to cultivate what i already have and push my rootstock forward for future grafting and swaps! I may try and propagate more cuttings of grapes, figs and a big white mulberry i have in my vegi patch!
Btw, cooked white mulberry pie filling tastes significantly similar to fig jam!!!

2 Likes

I always look forward to seeing what every one here is planting because lots of them i’ve either never heard of or will not physically see because I can’t grow it here. :slight_smile:

I’m in 7a and I feel this way any time someone posts anything about tropical / sub-tropical fruit like citrus, mangoes, pomegranates, longan fruit, etc…

1 Like

This year I will be starting over at my new property so I ordered some things from my conservation district as well as a few online retailers. Here is my 2019 list:

Apples: zestar, mn1734, frostbite, sweet sixteen, Connell red, chestnut crab
Plums: superior, toka, mt Royal, Ptitsin 9, Percy’s plum, golden Gage
Raspberries: Anne, jacklyn, autumn Britten,
Pears: Hudar, luscious
Cherries: Evans Bali

I will also be transplanting some varieties from my current place including:
Plum: waneta, black ice, prairie red
Gooseberries: Poorman, Invicta, Hinomaki red, black velvet, Jahn’s prairie
Raspberries: nova, heritage
Apricot: Westcot
Bush cherries: carmine jewel, Romeo, Juliet, Crimson passion, Nanking
Honeyberries: Aurora, indigo gem, Borealis