White Pine Blister Rust on ORUS 8?

I have a 2.5 year old ORUS 8 that I fear is showing signs of White Pine Blister Rust. Is there anything else that this might be:

Do I have any other options besides destroying the plant? I have a number of nearby Black Currants and Gooseberries that aren’t showing any signs of infection. There aren’t many white pine trees in the area: maybe a dozen mature within a half mile.

I was hoping to at least taste the fruit before I get rid of the plant. It has no fruit this year, but hopefully next year. Would I be silly to strip all the affected leaves and see if it survives to fruit for next year? Or is the responsible thing to immediately pull it up and put it in the trash?

(I believe all Ribes are currently legal here in Vermont)

1 Like

White pine blister rust is caused by the fungus Cronartium ribicola which spends part of its life cycle on Ribes (e.g. Gooseberry) species.

It was once thought that removal of Ribes in the area of white pines could be an effective control but this has proven false.

There are 3 products listed in CDMS for the suppression of C. ribicola on Gooseberry:

Bayer Proline® 480 SC

Bayer Propulse®

Corteva Rally® 40WSP

I would first try the Propulse product.

1 Like

What makes you suggest the Propulse? It seems to have very limited availability in the US. I don’t see it in containers smaller than 2.5 gallons, and it costs over $1000, which is more than I’m willing to spend for a single plant: Propulse Fungicide.

That said, has anyone tried any of these with success?

It is a professional grade pesticide, typically not offered by online retail sellers because they lack proper licensing. The $1k price you saw was for desperate farmers who couldn’t find the product at their local Ag pesticide supplier. The 2.5 gallon size is typical for farm supply, I believe the smallest size is 100 fl. ounces.

had some on my Tiben. pluck all infected leaves and spray heavily with spectracide immunox. it will prevent reinfection. keep the leaves dry. i spray all my currants/ gooseberries with it 1x after leaf out and then 3 weeks later. if its been rainy i spray 1 more time after flowers set fruit. its kept all my Ribes clean for 5 yrs now. found the recommendation on a website 5 yrs ago.

1 Like

Thanks, this sounds like a useful approach. Searching on Immunox and Ribes, I find this page that has more a little more info: Gooseberry and Currant (Ribes spp.)-Blister Rust | Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks.

1 Like

i find if you prune off all foliage at least a foot from the ground and dont wet the leaves in most years you dont even have to spray. i almost always spray at least once when leafed out as spring is when the spores are produced on the pines that infect the Ribes.