Who has started taking scionwood cutting now?

I stored 8 pounds of Li jujube in the refrigerator for a month now and the fruits starting to overripe and became mushy. Probably best to dehydrated them for longer shelf life.

5 Likes

Glad you posted this Alan. I started dividing scion into ziplocks and then putting the ziplocks into another bag, with good results. It’s only been a couple seasons, but your experience is reassuring.

@marknmt When grafting, I wrap the graft union and seal the tip by dipping it in latex paint. I just don’t find wrapping the entire scion in parafilm necessary or beneficial. My thought is bark is much better at controlling respiration than parafilm, which prevents respiration.

4 Likes

I just got notification that Fruitwood Nursery has their persimmon cuttings in stock again. So if anyone wants to purchase it, better order quickly. Some items are low in inventory. I placed my order today.

4 Likes

I got my varieties when I got my notification yesterday. Some of these varieties are quite low in inventory for sure.

3 Likes

I looked at fruitwoods inventory to get scion for Harrow Sweet pear. They don’t list it but do list a Halaws sweet pear. Wonder if that’s a misprint? I emailed them but haven’t heard back. Never heard of a Halaws variety.

3 Likes

There are a good number of scions listed on Fruitwood that I actually can’t find any information on. It makes me wonder if the ones that can’t be identified through other sources are from trees that they have named.

2 Likes

I have found very limited information regarding some Italian persimmon cultivars they have listed here.

Dom

4 Likes

very complicated nursery by the way…

2 Likes

@Luisport are you referring to the Italian nursery? Do you have experience ordering from them?

3 Likes

I hope lots of folks are buying these interesting new varieties and planning on grafting them I am keen to find out how they compare with the Japanese varieties.
Personally I will just be adding 2 varieties this year – both Japanese.

2 Likes

Yes i am. I have some trees from them. The problem is not the trees, they are great. The problem is that I’m trying to get more trees and they don’t reply to messages. It’s not easy to contact and buy from them.

3 Likes

I’m running out of space so I’m going to try a multi-grafted Kaki this spring. I have a D.V. rootstock growing out in a protected microclimate in corner of the yard. Sandwiched between a fence and the driveway. This spot receives sun all day.

I’m going to graft Chocolate, Yeddo-Ichi, Mikitani Gosho and Thieni.

I believe they are all PVNAs and it’s been confirmed chocolate produces male flowers.

Should be an interesting adventure.

3 Likes

I have started dipping the ends of scions in paraffin wax soon after collecting them. Would like to know any experience others have with this method.

3 Likes

I’ve been dipping the ends of my scion in wax for several years now and have seen no adverse effects.

2 Likes

I went to Fruit woods website immediately after getting the in stock notification for several scions. They have SweeTango listed but it’s always out of stock. Did I miss out or do they really never have any? I wasn’t even sure it was available to growers yet in the regular market. .

1 Like

This link might be useful for you, and if not it should help you jump off to others:

4 Likes

Mr. Bob.
I’m new to grafting and growing Asian persimmon. What constitutes an iffy low for Asian varieties?

Thank you

2 Likes

I think the ‘best time’ is after the sap is up but the buds have not swelled–and take the cut scion and graft immediately.

But, of course, this isn’t possible / practical in many cases. So collecting in middle of the cold is certainly adequate. (But collecting soon as the leaves are off in the fall and not grafting until April leads to some lower percentages of takes and less successful grafting.)

2 Likes

I assume it’s a good practice, so long as the heat of the melted wax isn’t too high.
Certain it arrests dehydration.

(But I do have 3 pears that “took” but no growth happened at all…well, seemingly they took, as the cambium is still very green.) These have waxed end.

2 Likes

Oh, and despite the dormancy for a year…in the current year those 3 pear grafts came to life and grew.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes