Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome!

Lehman had reported that H-118 is very fungal susceptible. Maybe not an issue for those of us where rain never happens. I don’t know that I have seen that discussion on here. Lehman’s report from 2008:

H-118 very early, September 3, but first fruits were unusable as many were cracked and infected by Fusicladium levieri (identified by Dr. Gail Ruhl, Purdue University); reported in the 2003 Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science 112(2): 132-134.) The fruit of H-118 seems more susceptible to this fungus than other varieties. The leaves of many varieties are infected with this fungus but typically not much fruit is infected. I know of no fungicides labeled for it

3 Likes

I just noticed significant foliar issues for the first time this year. Several trees dropped 1/3 of their leaves. They had black spots and eventually sort of bleached watery looking necrosis. It started up during our prolonged cool wet weather in June, and didn’t seem to continue.

1 Like

@snowflake @hobilus @JCW

Funny you mentioned that, i noticed black spots on my persimmon leaves. These are my 15 large american rootstocks. 5 or more are small and never took off growing yet. Grafted 5 out of 25 in this spot. As mentioned the soil seemed the same but some never got very big or died. There are enough suckers to make up any losses. Some are sending up more root suckers. The grafts shown here are 3 h-118 and 2 are A-33. My other patch has 4 early golden. They are all very late season cleft grafts or side grafts.

3 Likes

Generally nothing much to worry about I think. Persimmon leaves can get that pretty commonly from what I’ve seen and doesn’t cause much issue.

1 Like

Ive noticed spots most years but this was the first time i saw significant defoliation. It seemed more a nuisance than an actual problem, but i was a little surprised

2 Likes

Does anyone know more about the persimmons below?

" Zima khurma =NB-02 Persimmon bred out of Nikitskaya Bordovaya, cold hardy and good producer of orange medium to large size fruit that ripens Late-season on a semi-vigorous tree. Has low spreading growth habit and is a beautiful specimen in the fall. Trees are very cold hardy tested down to minus -16.4 F for a long time. This cultivar was bred in Japan and brought to America by Jerry Lehman of Terre Haute, Indiana. Zone 5b to ZONE 8, tested to -16 F."

Previously asked about Rosseyanka on another thread but there are several people who mentioned -18F might be a stretch. It is not a true american persimmon.

" Rosseyanka Hybrid - Persimmon of exceptional quality and the large size which in near a 3 inch persimmon that ripens late and is very delicious we have been growing this selection for Approx. 20 year or so and We have never been disappointed with the crops of Luscious fruit that looks like Orange Orbs when the tree looses the leaves and the fruit remains on the trees. Reminiscent of Dio. Virginiana our native persimmons but Suitable for Zone 5 and very hardy down to about -18 degrees it is one of our favorites here our orchards."

" Claypool = H-120 -Named After James Claypool Very productive tree of medium height, Quality of fruit is far exceeding all average trees and produces excellent tasting fruit clear juicy pulp with no black specking on the pulp."

I-94 American Persimmon is also known as Claypool 1-94 or Valeen Beauty. This Large fruit has clear flesh with excellent flavor. Claypool I-94 is large, early, and delicious. It differs from Early Golden by being slightly larger, more oblate and brighter orange color. Another interesting trait of Claypool I-94 is its very large and glossy leaves, making it a beautiful tree year-round.”

Any additional thoughts on those below?

100-46 (Lehman’s Delight)
"
Lehman’s Delight (100-46): From the Breeding work of Jerry Lehman of Terra Haute Indiana, one of his last introductions. Very large fruit, smooth flesh, clear pulp, and made to be loved. While not a large tree it is one of the heaviest producing persimmons. With very good flavor and smooth flesh, this fruit is all about taste."

100-45
“large fruit, similar to 100-46 (AKA Lehman’s Delight).”

100-43
@tonyOmahaz5 said this "[/quote=“tonyOmahaz5, post:13, topic:2391, full:true”]
Jess,
I found that Jerry Lehman new crosses were more superior in size and taste. This is my top 5 American persimmons: Jerry Lehman 100-42, 100-43, 100-46 (these three are siblings ), Prok, and the real large and strong persimmon fragrance Jerry Lehman WS8-10.

Tony
[/quote]

"

This thread is helpful

When i was a kid all of our persimmons had black flecks and occasionally a bit of tannins after several freezes.

"Fruit of most varieties contain black flecks in the pulp, which are not attractive in the processed product. ‘Prok,’ ‘Killen,’ ‘Claypool,’ ‘I-115,’ ‘Dollywood,’ ‘100-42,’ ‘100-43,’ ‘100-45,’ ‘Early Golden,’ ‘John Rick’ and ‘C-100’ are excellent varieties that contain few or no black specks. "

https://www.uky.edu/ccd/production/crop-resources/fruit/persimmons

Someone is likely to bring up JT-02 aka Mikkusu , a very Hardy 50/50 Asian/American persimmon hybrid, again outside the scope of this topic like Roseyanka. These are likely ones i will grow on a strictly trial basis.

https://www.bestpersimmon.com/outstanding-cultivars-2/

Great thread if you have time to read it

This came from this website but i dont remember from who or what it regarded.

Tree and Scion wood List 10 DEC 2020 Farms 1, 2 and 3 .pdf (523.0 KB)

2 Likes

That’s Cliff’s scion list.

1 Like

@snowflake

Thanks i wasn’t sure where it came from. It was uploaded on a thread. Some great persimmons on there.

1 Like

I thought I had seen it in the scionwood sources but I don’t see it next to the England orchard link. Here is a slightly updated list from this past winter.

TREES and Scion wood List 2022 DEC Farms 1, 2 and 3 UPDATE.pdf (1.3 MB)

1 Like

i don’t mean to hijack this thread but thought it would be a good place to ask. what good tasting cultivars are z4 hardy, if any? id like to add some to my orchard next spring.

2 Likes

I think your area is pretty marginal for persimmons, but my suggestion would be to get some seedlings in the ground from known hardy sources, and after getting them established (which may take 5 yrs or more) graft them to VERY short season varieties. The earliest I know of is ‘Mohler’, which ripens here around Sept. 1. There may be SOME differences in hardiness, but I tend to think they are overstated. The more salient point for you is going to be ripening time, I believe.

3 Likes

I got a scion of Zima Khurma this spring and bark grafted it on a small wild dv. That is what it looks like. Dang psyllid gave it a hard time early on… but it grew on thru that some.

I dont know much about it but hope to eat some ZK fruit in a few years.

Pretty sure that Cliff has a description of it on his site.

Yep found that…

Zima khurma =NB-02 Persimmon bred out of Nikitskaya Bordovaya, cold hardy and good producer of orange medium to large size fruit that ripens Late-season on a semi-vigorous tree. Has low spreading growth habit and is a beautiful specimen in the fall. Trees are very cold hardy tested down to minus -16.4 F for a long time. This cultivar was bred in Japan and brought to America by Jerry Lehman of Terre Haute, Indiana. Zone 5b to ZONE 8, tested to -16 F.

2 Likes

@steveb4

I have no first hand knowledge but have read meader is zone 4 hardy and very delicious. It is said to be smaller than other named cultivars.

2 Likes

I read that Meader seedlings are not as cold hardy as some for rootstock, but I don’t know that for a fact.

1 Like

Meader is originally from Rochester, New Hampshire. See how much colder you are compared to that. I’d try any of the early ripening varieties.

2 Likes

Mohler - Medium size fruit, upright with spreading growth habits. Ripens early August through early September. Fruit is exceptionally sweet with complex fruity flavors. Considered to be one of the best tasting legacy cultivars still on the market.

@steveb4 … i think Mohler may be the earliest ripening american persimmon… that i can find mention of in Cliffs notes. Sounds like it taste pretty good too.

Additional info found…

Mohler is one of a number of varieties of American persimmon that are cold hardy and will ripen their fruits this far north. My persimmons have survived winter lows below minus 20 degrees F.

Looks like Mohler came from PA.

1 Like

It was developed in NH… but I can’t recall where the parent trees were from. I thought I had read that some point, but someone might know.

Might be wrong, but I thought it was a wild discovery.

1 Like

According to NAFEX Fall 1972, it’s a seedling of Garretson.

4 Likes

I was checking out Morse nursery. They have something called an August persimmon. I called around and I couldn’t get ahold of the nursery to see what the cultivar is.

Anyhow I got Charlie Morse’s personal cell and asked him. He said that he sold his business to Tom Mills. Charlie didn’t know what the August Persimmon was, so he called Tom and then Charlie called me back.

Charlie told me the August persimmon was
H-118 however Charlie said that Tom said that they might or are going to be switching to a new Persimmon called K-24B as the new “August” persimmon.

So my question to anyone in the know is have you heard of K-24B?

3 Likes