Who's growing Quince?

Thanks for the information!

Ill ask the german nursery if they can replace they ordered Kaunching and give me the Crimea (Krymskaya) instead.

In my experience, Pineapple seems to be the variety that is most immune to disease in my area. I donā€™t grow it because I like the ones that have great flavor when raw, like Crimea and Kuganskaya.
John S
PDX OR

4 Likes

Agreed. Pineapple is not a fresh eating quince ā€“ unless really-really soft.

2 Likes

Thanks for the presentation. I enjoyed it very much.

Grafted Aromatnaya and Kuganskaya onto a hawthorn this year (scions courtesy, I think, of @armyofda12mnkeys ), along with some medlar. So far everything is leafing out. Weā€™ll see if they last and ultimately produce.

3 Likes

Iā€™m new here, but Iā€™m growing some of the same varieties of quince you are growing at my place in Napa (Karpā€™s Sweet, Aromatnaya, Krymskaya, Myagkoplodnaya, Smyrna, Pineapple and Cookeā€™s Jumbo). Iā€™m very interested in your experiences, success dealing with FB, etc. Cheers to Cydonia!

Iā€™m new here, but can tell you I donā€™t like a hint of off-dry in my wine, but love my quince paste. Not cloying in the least. Iā€™m growing Pineapple, Karlā€™s Sweet, Aromatnaya, Krymskaya, Smyrna, Myagkoplodnaya (Mellow) and Cookeā€™s Jumbo at my place in Napa. Less than a tenth of my trees, but so worth it,

1 Like

I bought at the time a couple of quince shrubs, name escapes me. They much prefer acid soil, and do very little in my pH=7.7 soil, even though I planted them with a wheelbarrow of organic trash each. The idea is that they are very thorny, and they and numerous seaberries would slow the flow of deer through the orchard (did not work). They are also good for preserves, not just jam but also mixed fermented krauts. I still have access to wild hard pears and golf sized crab apples, which are just as good in a ferment.

Yeah that was prob me if you got from BYFG :).
My grafts are leafing out as well too this week.
Are you in PA?

Iā€™ll have to visit you one day, my uncle is in Santa Rosa and I usually pop by there once a year.
I donā€™t get fireblight surprisingly on East Coast , only quince cedar rust. Kaunching is the most sickly tree with weird wrinkled leaves now two years in a row, Iā€™ll have to take a pic of it to identify disease (I doubt its FB since the branches donā€™t die). Rest of trees look good although I put some of them pretty close together like 6ft and I regret that (min 8ft would have been pretty appropriate). Crimea, Kuganskaya, and Aromatnaya best so farā€¦ Planted 5+ more new trees today (think Limon, Ekmek, Havron, Sekergevrek, Claribel) and a couple more possibly later (One Green World shipping very late this yearā€¦ Donā€™t mind, got too many things to plant past month anyway).
I grafted 25 rootstock too, prob will give them away if they take :).

BYFG is practically in my backyard. We also met on the pawpaw hike a year or two back.

Your scion did not go to waste! I split them into a few pieces, all of which are still looking good. I think the medlar will even flower this year, which Iā€™ll probably allow.

1 Like

Wow. I hardly believed there was someone as quince obsessed as me. Both Raintree and One Green World were late this year. But after our bareroot season ended, I still had a number of replacements to make for several pomegranates that inexplicably died down to the ground. It never got cold enough to cause even moderate damage to my dozen citrus trees that, admittedly, are in a terrace right next to our house and each covered in a string of lights; but I think the combination of the heavy water year and cold was too much. But that only meant more quince. Fireblight isnā€™t a horrible problem, but, back in 2015, we had an unseasonably warm and wet spring and our local arborist (whom I have consulted on my 50-plus year old walnut trees) said it was the worst fireblight epidemic heā€™d ever seen in Napa. I sometimes get the curly leaves on Pink Pearl and Fuji apples; doesnā€™t seem to affect the treesā€™ health or fruit quality. Cheers!

1 Like

Most of my quince trees that I have grafted over the past couple years remain in their nursery rows, but two have now ā€˜graduatedā€™ to permanent spots this spring. They seem happy. One is a seedling of Crimea, the other is Aromatanaya on Quince A.
Next year I hope many more can join them, and I will give each spot compost and woodchips to smother sod and prepare the soil a year in advance. As quince a somewhat shallow rooted, and my soil is pretty heavy and prone to seasonal waterlogging, I am trying to create a small planting mound for each tree.

1 Like

By the way, Iā€™ve been eating large amounts of quince during my 3 hour baseball game with 25 year olds. (Iā€™m 53). It helps to relieve inflammation and pain. It has more pectin than any other fruit. It is working!

I have noticed this year that really cleaning out the core of the tree helps against rust. We had our normal wet spring this year and they were hardly affected. (Fingers crossed.) They are such productive trees that Iā€™m having to freeze most of the fruit for later. I have so many pear trees now because when I prune, I stick the quince cuttings in the ground. They become trees and the next year I graft a compatible pear to them. Then you can graft any pear to the pear. Short and productive, just like me. :slight_smile
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Interesting to note that quince root that easily for you. How do you prepare your quince for eating?

1 Like

In the fall I chop them up and put them in salads and casseroles. I also like them for fresh eating. Still usually in slices.
During the rest of the year, I just eat them in chunks because thatā€™s how I store them for freezing.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

Just curious when youā€™re pruning your quince for the best success in rooting?

I think itā€™s mostly about climate and disease. We have wet winters and springs. Dry summers. mixed falls. Quince doesnā€™t like to be pruned when itā€™s wet, because itā€™s opened for disease, so I try to prune it when the air is dry but the ground is wet. That means dry weather in between about Nov and April for me in PNW.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

My Aromatnaya Quince has fruits for the first time :slight_smile:

Ill just hope that they hold onto the tree, i already removed half of them a month ago.

https://picload.org/image/rprgcaii/img_20170617_110229.jpg

8 Likes

Was warned quince do develop rust and here it is as expected. What chemicals does it respond to?

3 Likes