Why my currents turn yellow

It’s not variegation! I have two black currants and both of them suffer EXACTLY like the photo above, right after I covered 2,5x2,5 meters part of the lawn with a tank, so water supply to the bushes is disturbed and I spilled strongly diluted hydrogen peroxide near the bushes. I’m removing tank today, gonna water the covered patch and let you know if they recover some, cuz since yesterday, they are going down strong :disappointed: also, maybe related, I sprayed baking soda as treatment on a bush 2 meters away from currants. Idk wtf, but most comments here are probably right - it’s some kind of deficiency. If not that, I’ve seen some aphids in there some time ago when neighbors had their garbage infested with flies. Will check around evening if they are still gathering under the leaves.

Nevermind… I just figured out what happened. Since tank is up, birds are not sitting on my plum above the currants anymore, so aphids took over spreading diseases. Hope whoever Googles it, it might help, since this search result comes up high up (reason I’m here) in Google.

It has been5years that this current has variegated leaves. So I rule out nutrition deficit, virus, or others. I believe it is kinda of mutations

Yes variegation occurs in currants and just about all plant families. I had a completely white raspberry this year. Probably from fallen seed. It could not survive as it was a true albino. No sugar could be made in the leaves.

1 Like