Wickson Crabapple Pollinator?

Thanks to the generosity of the members of this forum, I’ll be growing some Wickson crabapples. Do I need a pollinator? Does it have to be another crabapple?

I have Anna, Dorsett Golden, Fuji, Red Fuji, Gala, and Pettingill nearby, not sure if those will pollinate it, if a pollinator is necessary.

1 Like

Yes you’ll need a pollinator. Wickson (midseason) will probably bloom right after Anna and Dorsett Golden. I think Fuji will be slightly late. Pettingill and Gala are probably going to be the best overlap.

1 Like

Not sure how reliable this list is as I’m pretty much a newbie at all this but Orange Pippin has a list of pollination partners. https://www.orangepippintrees.com/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1593

@aheartforhome – Yes they have them placed into flowering groups, which are basically a time series 1=very early and 7= very late. If the blooms open at the same time then cross-pollination will happen, provided the variety isn’t pollen sterile (eg. Mutsu ). Pollen sterile varieties are also usually triploid in their genomics.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification on the flowering groups. That makes a lot more sense now.