Wild herbs and trees - useful and hardy!

Frequently we forget what nature has already given us such as wild apples, wild pears, mints , garlic, leeks, greens, sage etc… Wild plants are something we should grow more of because they grow without much if any care needed. Why don’t we grow all natural foods? Chances are your familiar that fruits are smaller or not as much fruit is given sometimes. Please take this opportunity to post some wild plants from your area because I think long term we will need to use these plants genetics to make new varieties. Here is some wild Kansas mint. I don’t know it’s proper name .

3 Likes

I let milkweed grow in my garden for the Monarch. I heard it was poisonous, that it can kill sheep. Looks like though the common milkweed is edible, at least the type here in the east. I have not dared to try it yet. Also some say not to eat it, nothing to do with it’s toxicity but the Monarch needs all they can get and the plant seems in decline.
http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-eat-milkweed.htm

I should add a photo since you asked.
I have about 8 plants in the garden. The flowers are finishing

2 Likes

I don’t have any pics, but I let sorrel, mountain mint, purslane, and lambsquarters grow in the yard. Garlic mustard is tolerated until of harvestable size, but not allowed to go to seed. I have a hedge of seedling highbush cranberry, serviceberry, sand cherry and hazel. A few wild blackberries and mulberries on the back fence, and a feral peach that never ripens.

3 Likes

You need to top work that peach :wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s on the neighbor’s side of the fence. By KY law, I have rights to the fruit that hangs over onto my side, but can’t do anything to the tree. They bushhogged it a few years ago and it bounced back!

2 Likes

I have many beautiful “weeds” in our yard and fields that have many wonderful benefits and all have a purpose for being here and are allowed to grow and not be mowed down. Milkweed, dandelion, clover, purslane , wild bergamot, mint, native elderberry, wild roses, native honeysuckle, wild blueberries and many other native plants, shrubs and trees.

1 Like

Wild roses and lilac infusion .

1 Like

Dandelion Herbal salve. Great for healing and pain. I rub it on my husbands knee when he is in pain and it helps take the pain away.

Dandelion jelly and dandelion raw honey jelly… Great in tea and on toast…

2 Likes

What does the rose and lilac tincture treat? Besides smelling amazing!

2 Likes

Hi, KY! Sorry, I should have said it is an infusion. I corrected it… It is in olive oil and will be made into a body cream. It smells amazing! :slight_smile:

1 Like