Wild Mustard - Making it Edible

Here in New Mexico we have wild mustard plants growing well all winter. In the spring, they really take off and produce a lot of foliage and flowers - all without any supplemental water. They just grow in lots of untended (as well as tended) areas.

These plants have a very sharp taste. You can’t really use more than a leaf or two in a big salad. They retain the sharp mustard taste even when cooked.

However, I’ve just discovered that when I let them soak in a large pot of salted water for several days, they became pickled and lost virtually all of their sharpness. They are reminiscent of kim chi.

I don’t know yet if the pickling alone will do the trick or if they need to be in lots of water or maybe multiple changes of water. I had read that the mustardy substance is water soluble, so I put them in much more water than I would for normal pickling.

These plants are so abundant at a time when little else is growing that they could be a significant food source. And they grow wild everywhere here!

I don’t consider them invasive. They die back by the time the growing season is under way and they only start growing again later in the fall.

2 Likes

Pickled mustard stems and leaves are used a lot in asia.

I’ve been cooking a great dish recently I had in china which is just chicken stock + some vinegar + garlic + chilli + pickled mustard greens + Sichuan pepper if you can get it. Then just poach some fish in it (Suan Cai Yu).

It’s also really good pickled just as a side dish with fatty meats like roast pork or pork belly etc.

Good post. We have tons of it around here. Great info in case of a food shortage.

Interesting. I believe the wild greens here are far more mustardy than the cultivated plants used in many cultures.

1 Like

Interesting. Some are pretty hot! If it is water soluble it sounds like you’re on the right track.

Did some searching and if it’s the same wild mustard they call charlock, the young leaves are going to be more edible than leaves after the seed pods have formed.