Wild pawpaw pic's of 2022

Nice cluster on a tree I’ve been visiting the last few years. Let’s see some pics of your harvest. They are just starting to drop for me outside of Louisville Kentucky.

10 Likes

They taste like juicy fruit bubblegum in my opinion.

6 Likes

Today I found my personal biggest wild pawpaw as of date. These come from one small tree that looked to small to even bare fruit. 15.3 oz.

7 Likes

Juicy Fruit = jackfruit, which is an incredible fruit.

Have you taken cuttings?

2 Likes

Nice one! Have you weighed the seeds to see what the seed ratio is? Sounds like a good find.

I need to go back and mark the tree to take cuttings in February.

2 Likes

They aren’t quite ripe yet but I will do a follow up.

2 Likes

I agree pawpaw can taste like jackfruit.
That’s a huge wild fruit.
Nice find.

1 Like

I guess we are pretty blessed with good genetics in this area as most of the fruit is delicious…

1 Like

Follow up: Whole fruit weight was 15.3 oz
Seed weight was 0.8 oz
Taste is sweet banana a mild pawpaw no bitterness. It’s a keeper for me I will be growing from seed and trying to get some scion.

7 Likes

I hope you marked the tree!

Here is my wild find for today (some were already gifted to neighbors so this isn’t the entire haul…). This was a new location for me to forage so I was very excited to find fruit!

4 Likes

Nice haul, there’s just something special about foraging for pawpaw so fun.

1 Like

Yes I was able to go back and mark tree.

I generally like the lighter colored ones, so this one looks like one I’d love to try.!
My Al Horn
and some from Indiana
are light in color.

Yeah it took me a while to figure out that I like the lighter ones, more like a creamy banana flavor. Maybe I will have some more in the distance future after I graft one. Maybe we can swap some fruit in the future.

1 Like

Sounds fine.
I do know of one tree, three trunks each the size of a gallon milk jug, coming from an old stump, that has pretty good fruits for an orange one. I have several seedlings 4 to 6 inches high of it. (Red fleshed apple is getting more of my attention.) But I’m growing seedling pawpaws from numerous sources, many from the Berea KY area, but also from several other places, mostly in Kentucky, like Somerset, Middlesboro, Rogers, Corbin.
Also have several grown from seeds obtained from Kentucy State. Plus a couple of seedlings having Lehman genetics.

Very cool sounds about what I’m doing as far as Pawpaw. I have some KSU seedlings as well a couple of Lehman , Peterson variates Wabash, Shenandoah, Potomac, Susquehanna, a Windstar and select seedlings that I have scoured the hillsides of Oldham county for. I have one seedling that holds it’s leaves horizontally that I’m excited to see fruit. I have about 20 trees none have fruited yet (late frost) maybe next season.

1 Like

I brought some in for my Cambodian coworkers today and jackfruit was the first thing they said it reminded them of.

1 Like

I need to try some Jack fruit then.