Wild plum ID request

I was looking back through pictures that I took in August 2017 and was wondering if anyone could help me to positivly identify this plum species. They were growing in northern Kentucky in an early succession area along with elaeagnus. Some trees had yellow fruit and some had red fruit. I am assuming that they are Prunus americana.

3 Likes

How did they taste?

1 Like

The one that I tried was hard, overly sour and with almost no sweetness. Considering that most of the red fruited trees had fruit that was ranging from yellow with a red blush to red with a yellow blush, they were probably not ripe yet. I haven’t retured to that area since and probably should have checked back over the next couple of weeks to see when they would ripen.

They look like the wild Am. plums that grow here. I think I also have Canadian plum, but I haven’t confirmed that yet.

1 Like

They look like the wild plums I have at my place. I think they are Chickasaw plums. They get sweet when they are ripe. They make excellent jelly or wine as well.

1 Like

Same as here. An expert Said mine were Chickasaw or wild Indian Plum. I find if I fertilize mine they end up a lot sweeter! Awesome for wine, jelly, or out of hand.

2 Likes

A friend of mine makes wine from a similar plum that I really like.

1 Like

That is three mentions of wild plum wine in this thread. Last year my cousin made pear mead with my pears which he gave to family members for christmas. Maybe I can take him out to these trees next year and see what he can make with these wild plums.

1 Like

It seems to carry some tartness and maybe some astringent/tannins from the plum skin but keeps a nice fruit aroma and taste.

1 Like