Wild Seedling Scions for Cider

https://gnarlypippins.com/product-category/scionwood/

Just wanted to share the above link with other cider makers, seems like a good source for scions for cider varieties. Maybe you have had problems growing European cider varieties, so here are some scions originating from wild seedlings in the New England area. The theory is because they were able to grow wild, they may have a great deal of hardiness and disease resistance through natural selection. Whether or not that translates to your particular area may be another story, but they may be worth trying.

Haven’t ordered any myself because I already ordered enough other varieties from other sources, but maybe I will next year. If you do happen to try any of these, keep us updated, I’d like to know how they turn out for you!

6 Likes

Neat! Do you know where they’re located in New England?

Good question. Matt Kaminsky is the man behind gnarly pippins, and I know he is associated with Carr’s Cider / Preservation Orchard, which is in Hadley, MA. So I would guess there.

As for the scions, I believe they came from trees all over New England, including Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire. That is according to the “Proceedings From the First Annual Wild & Seedling Pomological Exhibition” book which I ordered from the gnarly pippins site, and would recommend to anyone interested in that sort of thing.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I used to live right across the river from Hadley; I could definitely see this sort of operation cropping up there. Thanks!

1 Like

Often
Wild Apples are often high in tannins
The shoe leather flavor
Unpleasant to eat
but very good for cider

1 Like

I am really interested in any of these varieties for withstanding fire blight in more southern areas.They sound fun,but I’m not in MA anymore.