Wildlife in our gardens

@Preston

Beautiful area! That pear tree and even the rabbits are in great condition. Everything looks well manicured. I’m thinking those rabbits will die of old age after a long happy life.

3 Likes

@pine

Sounds like stew meat steak to me!

1 Like

Old age or obesity. These guys sure are living the dream. No predators and a steady supply of food.

4 Likes

Lodidian was close: Mourning Cloak

3 Likes

I moved this praying mantis yesterday to the salvia plants, it crossed my driveway and landed on a lavender bush, in the mean time, the moths are still at the salvia plants.

6 Likes

After the rain, more pollinators are out enjoying the sunshine.

And there were lots of moths

11 Likes

Juvenile Bald Eagle. Walked by about 20 ft distant. He stayed.

5 Likes

probably 20’ from my lawn

7 Likes

My spicebush seedlings are already doing their job and attracting spicebush swallowtail butterflies.

8 Likes

Spice bush makes a perfect tooth pick too.
Even a tooth brush in a pinch!

1 Like

Moved all the swallowtail caterpillars from my garden dill plants to the wild dill that grows along the tree-line. Amazing how much these little guys can eat!!

5 Likes

I knew that. Can I blame autocorrect? Probably just typing in a hurry.

2 Likes

This Pacific slope flycatcher or one of its descendants has built a nest under our deck 3 years in a row. While not a very fancy looking bird it has a lot of personality. It hangs out a few feet away from the porch and is barely afraid of people. We have named him “Fluffy”.

4 Likes

I made an acquaintance today

8 Likes

How about this, I didn’t know squirrels can hang on like this.

8 Likes

Looks like a kind of stucco wall. Plenty for them to grab.

3 Likes

It’s a stucco, I know my fence lizards can do it, but both my husband and I was surprised at this.

1 Like

The camouflage king

11 Likes

Wow that’s amazing, it took me a while to see it.

I think this year I have a few praying mantises.

2 in the same vicinity, I hope they don’t eat each other

Zooming in

And another one

A third one

6 Likes

Nice Katydid…(but they eat a lot of leaves).

2 Likes