Will buy and clear the lot next door

I have the lot next door on contract and will complete the purchase in the next couple of weeks. Then I plan on bringing in a Forestry Mulcher to clear the lot of all the trees that have grown since it was cleared for the first time 20 years ago.
The lot is 0.6 acres and on a slight slope in North Alabama. It has a (like new) water well that has never been used. 100 ft depth with a 55 foot tall water level.
I am planning on Pawpaw, Asian Persimmon and some Jujube. A couple mulberry have shown themselves already so they will stay.
Need ideas on what else to grow.
I want to use no chemical sprays but may use JADAM if there is any experience with the use of these. I currently am using JADAM Sulfur for Asian Pear that gets Quince Cedar Rust and it seems to work.
I have seen where there are varieties of Pineapple Guava and Citrus that may survive our as low as 10 degree weather.

8 Likes

You have a pretty good no spray list. I would add hardy kiwi and figs. Pears have been good other than blackening leaves that require spray. I’m also starting to focus on less care items.

On the lot where my house is, there are 5 varieties of figs and a large 30x30 pergola of fuzzy kiwi and another shaded pergola with hardy kiwi.
The new lot has a lot of area and a lot of promise. It has never been anything other that a wooded area so the soil should be very active with fungi and bacteria.

1 Like

No experience with but it does sound interesting. Will be curious to hear of your successes/failures with.

well I now have 6 Pineapple Guava (3 varieties) that I will grow inside over the winter and place in the ground late spring. The nursery says they are good with Zone 7 and I am in 7B so being hopeful.

Muscadines might work for you. Look into some posts by Bill @Auburn, I think he is in the middle of Alabama. Blackberries also.

1 Like

I agree with @ztom on the blackberries, get you a row of prime ark freedoms going. Unless you plan on putting up a fence, run it the whole length of side(s) of your property. Use good treated 4x4s, concrete, and several strands of high tensile wire with strainers and you just made a fence to keep human browsers off the things you listed that you really want to grow. I’m not sure how this variety will do in Alabama, but they produce an unbelievable amount in Kansas.

1 Like

Yeah I will eventually fence it in with a privacy fence to keep out squirrels and youngsters. Am looking at galvanized pipe and cedar but right now prices are out of this world.
I have about 4 muscadines right now and they are sweet. I was thinking of blackberries in the future but the last time I tried blackberries I picked the wrong variety (Arapaho I think it was) and it was not a good tasting.
Most of the lot will be Pawpaw and Asian Persimmon since these I can keep under 12 foot.