Winblo, Intrepid, Carolina Gold -- trying to make a disease resistant choice

I am in Raleigh, have been trying to grow fruit for only a few years, and only have peaches producing off my Contender and Hale Haven so far. They all look like Bob’s fruit, and I can tell you a peeler does just fine with my fruit hiding my evidence of neglect. I plan to try a little harder this year to get prettier fruit, but not much of my blemishes seem to penetrate the flesh.

1 Like

I also occasionally get peaches like that. I don’t mind that small amount, but if scab gets bad the fruit can stunt. My Puget Gold apricot got it so badly that the fruits were these tiny shriveling things, and I gave up on it.

Just to make sure I understand your mixture. Are you doing both Indar and Captan at half rate or just one of them? Captan or Indar?
Thank you.

Mike,

I mix the captan at the half rate, not the Indar. Indar has a set rate, but captan has a good bit of variance allowed. Topsin also has some leeway. Whenever I mix, I go the least rate the label allows (for both fungicides). Indar is fixed at 6 oz. per acre, so that’s what I use, regardless whether I tank mix with anything else or not.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I have will spray mine for the first time this year. I am trying to figure out what sprays to use now. All my trees are from 1-3 years old and I have not sprayed them with anything but neem oil these last few years.

Just came across this post my grandfather grew golden jubilee. It was a cash crop for him I remember picking and helping him all the time. Best peach ever as far as I am concerned. I am wanting to get some for my orchard where did you get your golden jubilee? Oh and we never had any problem with dropping issues. If it dropped it was very ripe.

Edit just saw where from never looked at starks. Hope they have it again.

1 Like

In past generations, Golden Jubilee used to be a very popular commercial peach, so it’s not surprising to me that it was a cash crop for your grandfather.

Of the peaches I commented on, Golden Jubilee was the only one I haven’t grown. I’ve read it drops, so that’s what I was going on. Here are a couple references to that:

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2346&context=extension_histall

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2015/aac-aafc/A63-1203-1964-eng.pdf (To view this PDF, click “Continue to PDF” on lower right)

It’s also recorded to be very susc. to bac. spot, but that’s generally only a consideration for commercial growers. For backyard use, bac. spot generally isn’t an issue. There is generally less bac. spot pressure and spotting generally doesn’t matter to most people growing their own fruit.

I suspect these issues, as well as poor color are the reasons why it’s virtually absent from commercial production today. I’m sure it would make a fine backyard peach.

I believe Grandpas Orchard carries it, which I would recommend over Starks.

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/Tree/Prunus-Golden-Jubilee

2 Likes

You are in a great area for peaches and you may want to visit some local orchards and see what peach varieties they prefer. I have noticed that varieties that do well in one part of the country often don’t do well someplace else.

Winblo, Intrepid and Carolina Gold are all productive, excellent peaches in my area of 7B, but they were developed in my area for growing conditions in my area.

3 Likes

My grandfather had several acres of them no bacterial spot here maybe in the willamette valley it’s not as much of a concern? I remember picking them and eating them right in the orchard. Yum, will look at grandpas orchard. Oh and color was good for us nice gold with red blush. Thanks

3 Likes

Yes, as I’m sure you are aware, the Willamette valley is known for it’s Mediterranean climate in the summer time. Bacterial spot and scab are problems for commercial growers in the Midwest, Southeast, and Northeast, where there is significant rainfall in the summer.

I suppose “color” means different things to different people. From a commercial perspective a peach w/ 30% red would not be defined as good color (by today’s standards).

I have some old varieties similarly colored (Veteran, Madison, etc). While one could argue they look pretty in their own right, if I sell them side by side with full red skinned varieties there is no comparison. People will take the double red peaches every time. Of course flavor trumps color for peach quality (imo) but there are now peaches with good color and flavor for most harvest windows.

Here is what Bill Shane from MSU said about the peach in 2013:

“Origin 1926 from the NJ Ag Exp Station, 30% red skin, orange
flesh, flesh rips at peduncle attachment, somewhat soft
when ripe, poor quality, tends to drop, productive”

http://williamshane.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/0/7/27077603/msupeachvarietydescriptions2013.pdf

2 Likes

Just curious, which peach varieties did you decide on and how did they do? maybe a little early to ask …

I may have been sent some scions that looked like that,periodically.But if my area is dry through the growing season,does that mean those diseases won’t affect the fruit or should only clean ones be used,if available?bb

Unfortunately we decided to wait, (too many interests, too little money and energy to dig holes. . .lol) and only this year did we add another peach, a Contender since we’ve had late frosts wipe all blossoms from our other trees the past two years. I still hope to get a Winblo or Ernie’s Choice someday for the amazing flavor they are reputed to have. Sorry I couldn’t be of help.

Brady,

Scab is strictly a wet weather disease, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all in dry/low humidity growing seasons.

In terms of scion wood, I think scab is pretty much ubiquitous throughout the USA, so scabby wood is just a cosmetic issue imo.

Btw, I’d like to update something I said on this thread. I mentioned Carolina Gold hadn’t been that productive for me. I’ve harvested a couple more years since then and the one tree of Carolina Gold I started with really started to kick in production. So I don’t have any more complaints about it.

1 Like