Winter keeper apples

Scott, taking a tangent from that. There is a technique I want to try that is supposed to change apple flavor in storage. In the spring you dry elderflowers and then pack the apples in them in the fall. By Christmas they are supposed to develop a pineapple flavor.
I found it in the book Preserving food without freezing or canning. Could be fun to try.

5 Likes

Today is the last day of the season that one of my local orchards is open until May.

Bought one final peck of Goldrush apples for winter keeping…

8 Likes

Oh I wish I could get some of them. I have not seen them offered any where. I was just out in Apple growing area in mid Massachusetts and wasn’t much left at the orchard store I stopped at.

2 Likes

Matt those goldrush look great. I’m jealous. I wasn’t able to locate enough to put in to long term storage this year.

1 Like

I bet the first one I eat will be off my own tree. We do not get them here.

1 Like

I split the very last one of mine tonight with the kids. They really do keep getting better and better.

2 Likes

I have never seen a Goldrush apple in any of our stores. Hope to get my first taste of one in about two years as I will be adding it to my orchard thanks to some generous scion offerings on this forum. Bill

2 Likes

A couple of orchards have it around here. I still have a bushel in my fridge and they are so good. Even the ones I picked totally green are so good now. Sometimes I wonder why do I want to have any other storage apple. I can just plant another GoldRush. I bet another small tree will give me a good supply of apples to last until the summer.

3 Likes

I stayed home from work yesterday to watch over my son who has an ear infection.

I ate a Goldrush from the fridge for breakfast. What a special treat. Still crisp, crunchy, and full of twangy Vitamin C to nourish me as winter sets in.

It was 1 degree Fahrenheit this morning (with the windchill) as I waited for the commuter train. What a luxury to have locally-grown fresh fruit this time of year. Goldrush is a special apple.

4 Likes

Awesome list. Thanks for posting. Lacks Gideon Sweet and Coconut Crunch.

1 Like

Goldrush in late May! Kept in cold storage since last November at Catoctin Mtn Orchard.

18 Likes

Awesome. Every time I see a picture of Goldrush I’m tempted to add more to my small orchard. I have twelve Goldrush apples that are looking good so I should get a decent sampling this year.

How do they taste now?

Just ate the first Goldrush of the bunch. This speciman is a little starchy (picked too early), but it still has pockets of sweet juicy goodness. Hints of pear in this one along with the classic twangy pineapple-like flavor a Goldrush can sometimes get.

Considering this has been sitting around in cold storage for 6 months, I’m pleased.

7 Likes

The gold rush looks like my kind of apple…Hoping to get a least one of my grafts will take this year…

Boy, those Goldrush apples still look great. For some reason I could not get my Gold Rush apples to yellow up like that last fall even after hanging on the tree well into late December. Not sure if the summer and fall drought had anything to do with it but the taste suffered eating the greenish version.

1 Like

Yeah, they can be terrible if not ripe. One of the local orchards had trouble getting their Goldrush to ripen over a couple years-- maybe those seasons were too short or too cool? I dunno.

Every subsequent year, they’ve yellowed up, gained the red speckling, and have tasted fantastic/ kept well in storage into May.

1 Like

I just ate a Goldrush - sliced for the table - on June 19. It was fabulous and my kid agrees. Amazing keeping abilities.

19 Likes

I will have 5 goldrush this year, all protected in bags. Fuji is also a nice winter keeper apples, but all my Fuji apples have insect damage.

2 Likes

I’ll taste my first ones in about 4 years! Thanks for the report.

1 Like