Winter keeper apples

Could you recommend some more apple varieties with long shelf life? I have Goldrush and few different Fuji sports on M9 and about to plant one more Godrush on MM106. I have space for 3 more MM106 trees.
I know that one will be Admiral (newer Czech variety from Topaz and Opal breeders), that everyone is raving about and it actually gets more praise than Opal. It lasts till May
http://www.shop.zahradnictvolimbach.sk/en/admiral-apple-tree
I would also like to get Co-op 43 aka. Juliet, but haven’t heard about any taste reports from owners.
It’s a 1970 apple from US breeders that made it recently to Europe (specifically France) where it’s promoted as organic apple with vf gene etc. I was wondering if anyone has ever tasted it since it has been around for so long.
http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/38/1/144.full.pdf+html
So if I get Co-op 43 I still have space for two more. I ruled out Cripps Pink since it’s such a scab magnet here and while I don’t mind pampering my dwarf Pink Lady I would rather avoid spraying larger trees on more vigorous rootstocks.
I know I am probably asking for too much but if you know of a tasty variety (I prefer apples with some acid but that’s not a prerequisite) with long storage life and at least some disease resistance, please share it with me. Appreciate all your input.

1 Like

Yates, Arkansas Black, and NY bonkers seem popular options.

4 Likes

Enterprise, Sierra Beauty, and Hauer are our best keepers.

5 Likes

Crimson Crisp has impressed me the last couple seasons, high quality, disease resistant keeper apple.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. Crimson Crisp looks appealing, but probably not sold here in EU yet. I will trial Enterprise and Arkansas Black and will have to check availability of the others + Newtown Pippin Scott was talking about. Seems like I will have way more options than space.

1 Like

I see that you live in Europe. I am not sure if you are looking for heirloom apples or just modern varieties, but if you are interested in heirloom apples, perhaps you might look into what is called the Batul (or Patul) apple. It’s an heirloom, and Joan Morgan in her book on apples made it sound fantastic:

And it is supposedly a very good keeper. I grafted a stick of it this year (and I live in the American South, aka “disease central”) and it has taken off like gangbusters and no signs of any disease. In fact, it is matching my Black Limbertwig (a hardy Southern heirloom) for hardiness and health thus far.

3 Likes

VSOP, thanks! I never heard of this apple, but just read something about it and it comes from Romania and is available in Europe so I will try to get it.
I have about 40 apple varieties and most of them are modern so I am actually more interested in the heirloom ones at this point. many of the heirloom varieties grown in US are quite different but still obtainable usually through UK.

1 Like

I just read about Batul on site dedicated to orchardists and it seems to have problems with scab but it might perform differently in your area Anyway it seems to be easy to get here so I will graft few branches to try, thank you.
Citing from Batul | Sadařství
(excuse the crude translation):

Final evaluation:
Pros: Low requirements on location and agro machinery, good shape composure, satisfying looks, good storage life and cold hardiness
Cons: small fruit, subpar taste, poor apple scab resistance, not suitable for intensive orchard systems.

1 Like

Maybe I have had good results thus far with the Batul apple because scab is not a serious disease in southern USA. I think it’s mostly because it is too hot here, but we do get many many other diseases (like fire blight.)

I am surprised to see your source saying the Batul does not have a good taste, as Joan Morgan (and a few other sources I have read) indicate it is very good. I guess I will see when it finally sets in a few years!

1 Like

Yeah maybe your southern heat will make wonders, let us know how you like it once it sets fruit… I will keep looking for this apple and try it out myself.

1 Like

Just came across this thread looking for good red keeper apples. I already have GoldRush and Sundance, and will be planting Newtown Pippin, Suncrisp, Golden Russet, Ashmead’s Kernel, and CrimsonCrisp in the spring. Out of all those supposedly good keeper apples, only CrimsonCrisp is red. I’d be growing Pink Lady if we were in a warmer zone (I’m Zone 6b). Am I missing a good red keeper apple that will do well in the north? I’ve considered Enterprise and Winecrisp, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for these apples. Is there a reason all the best keeping apples are green?

1 Like

Red Fuji #2. Keeps until March in cold storage-- delicious.

Buy trees at Boyer’s of PA.
http://www.boyernurseries.com/fruit_trees/apples/fuji.html

Scionwood can be had from USDA GRIN.
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1003720

Vigorous and precocious. Can produce on one-year wood. Fairly disease resistant. Mid-late blossomer. Ripe in Oct. great keeper; flavor mellows & sweetens in storage. Had these from Boyer’s cold storage in early March and they tasted great! Crisp mellow sweet juicy creamy flesh.

4 Likes

Local growers around here (6a and 6b) do some Pink Lady and it ripens, though it may be marginal. I’m not sure it is any worse as far as season length than Gold Rush, but I don’t really know since I don’t have it myself.

Arkansas Black is a dark maroon. Yates is red but a little on the small side. Galarina and ida red may be options as well.

1 Like

Wine crisp and Enterprise are both very good. Disease resistant and Winecrisp is especially delicious.

2 Likes

Enterprise does great for me, but I’m in 7b. It’s a great storage apple. This year, they’ve stored better than goldrush.

3 Likes

Black Oxford and Northern Spy are good red keeping apples that originated in the north and do well there. Black Oxford is is deep, dark red and is especially pretty.

2 Likes

@VSOP How does your Black Oxford taste?

I have no idea as I don’t have one. :wink:. I’ve had my eye on it for some time, though, and Kuffel Creek Nursery says it does well in the heat in southern CA.

But I recommended it for the OP based on the research I’ve done that says it definitely does well in the north (it originated in Maine) and is so pretty.

1 Like

Black Oxford is a sweet, mildly acidic apple and has nice aroma. Great all-purpose fruit that works well for a variety of usages, most importantly it keeps well in simple refrigeration or root cellar conditions. I know some who have enjoyed fresh eating quality BOs in late spring.

7 Likes