Winter Pictures of the orchard

How is your orchard doing? Here are a few pictures of the upper orchard today. Things are quiet and peaceful today. I will try to get some pictures of the older lower orchard when the snow and wind let up a little bit.

13 Likes

Cold just looking at your pictures. Brr.

3 Likes

We can’t see the neighbor’s lights 1/4 mile away from blowing snow. Deck chairs are blowing about, brutal cold wind chills tonite.

1 Like

Definitely blizzard potential in your area. We are a state away but you guys are a little colder than us. We will hit -3 F. Wind speeds are picking up and getting to around 30mph. Wind chills between -10 and -20 by morning. Read your going to see temperatures about 5 degrees cooler than us -8 F. January may hit -20F this year. I’ve not seen a total white out here since I was a kid.

Do you feel that orchard or garden at winter time is a completely different world? I remember a book I had when my kids were small, Moominland Midwinter (Swedish title Trollvinter) by Tove Jansson. In that book young Moomitroll woke up in the middle of the winter(these creatures usually sleep in winter) and was absolutely amazed by how different world around him is. Not how it looks different, but how it is completely different world. I feel it every time I visit my garden in winter. I can see it in your orchard too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

all the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray…
your collage is a hard-to-beat poster child for that song.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m thinking about this winter. I won’t be at all surprised to see -20. It doesn’t happen very often here.

-7 my low for tonite. I’m 60 miles south of Chicago on the other side of the state and 15 miles from the Mississippi River.

Tomorrow -2 high and -6 low.

Dax

1 Like

Galinas,
Yes picture number 3 are the drippin’ honey that looked like this several months ago. Completely different world but it’s very nice to relax.

7 Likes

This is my favorite story too. But my children do not appreciate it :confused:

1 Like

I felt that way when I lived in Des Moines,Iowa one year.After a snow and walking on a country road at night was wonderful. Brady

1 Like

Nice pictures of your snowy orchard :deciduous_tree:

1 Like

Winter is a great time to see the ‘bones’ of the landscape, thanks for posting those views.
Similar here in Maine, today is the warmest it’s been in over a week at 38 F with some messy precip, going back down to simple digits tonight.
Stay warm!

1 Like

Negative 7F two nights ago here in the Banana Belt of the North. Winds in excess of 30 mph the next two days with rain by morning tomorrow. Then right back down into snow and cold in time for the grandkids to arrive for Christmas. Treacherous driving! God keep 'em safe.
Your photos of the orchard prompted me to look out back again: everything sleepy under about 6 inches of snow. I see I need to grub out some of the raspberries in spring: crowding the lilac on one side and Hunt Russet on the other.

2 Likes

Times of the year make a big difference. Posting these in the same thread to let everyone compare the photos of the same orchard.

4 Likes

A few pictures I took this morning.

From the south end

Magog Redstreak with nest

Tyson and Clapp’s Favorite pears, in need of winter pruning

Esopus Spitzenberg

Smokehouse with “last apple”

9 Likes