Wintergreen,a Very Useful Plant

The carburetors on my motorcycle need cleaning and when pulling them off and checking the rubber boots,which attach them to the motor,they were somewhat stiff.One was brought to a mechanic and he told me,some people soak them in Wintergreen oil (or Oil of Wintergreen,as it’s also called)to soften.Who knew?
Apparently,it does work and almost too well,because from reading about this stuff and watching a few videos,in my situation,it needs to be diluted,with about 3 parts of Isopropyl Alcohol,or the rubber will get damaged.Also,mine may be the artificial kind,whose name is Methyl Salicylate.Smells nice too.
Here’s some more information and uses for this plant from Wikipedia.

3 Likes

I’d love to grow wintergreen, but the only spot where it might live has nearly total shade, poor soil & a rain shadow. Maybe if I tore all the turf & weeds out, plus the concrete chunks left by previous owners as a kind of wall, spaded a square yard of compost in & made sure it got water weekly through summer, it might survive.
Can you tell I had thought about it once upon a time?

1 Like

I grew wintergreen. The berries were pretty and I think it had the smell, but almost no flavor.

1 Like

For the best wintergreen flavor, chew on a fresh, young leaf. The small ones with the more “round” shape are usually less bitter for some reason.

2 Likes

I was tasting the berries

1 Like

I grew wintergreen but failed. It is native to the PNW so it needs more water than the CO and down areas of the west can provide.

1 Like

I tried wintergreen off the plant. My issue was more so there was not many berries and it ended up dying due to needing way too much water to live on since it was a PNW native. I found the berries very wintergreen flavored but the wintergreen leaves were useless. I put a few leaves in water and tasted no difference. One was doomed before it came though. The cherry wintergreen from Raintree came looking healthy but again died due to lack of water and the other one came looking dead but I could not get a refund from Raintree because they refuse any refund for me because of Rye the communications manager is not very good at communications. So even in the PNW their other type of winterberry came wilted to nothing.

1 Like

We owned a wooded lot of 10acres about 40yrs ago. This was in west mMichigan. G. Procumbens grew there naturally. I’d forgotten all about this plant until reading this article. We never tasted it because we were cutting firewood—the kids were teenagers then. Sigh.

1 Like

You need to alert readers, “Warning: Motorcycle Content!” as they do on the uk.rec.motorcycles Newsgroup. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe that’s why they put oil of wintergreen in Marvel Mystery Oil, which is good for the carb slides on conventionally carbureted Honda Goldwings of the 1970s when you dope the fuel with it. I’ve always wondered.

2 Likes