Wintering Banana in Zone 8b

Been so busy researching my new plant coming this spring I forgot about my banana plants. The past owner told me they die down each year so I wanted to try to save them to see if I could get fruiting next year. I seen two techniques, 1 where you put mulch around the plant and 1 where you put the plants in a place where the temps are around 45 degrees. Since a freeze came in last night I had to guess at the best technique so I decided to put them under my home in my 3’ crawlspace. The little information I could find says not to water them, just leave them alone till end March when I can plant them again?

Anyone done this before and anything I can do at this point for better success? I left some leaves on and some dirt around the roots and double bagged the root with garbage bags and loussly tie the bags and laid the plants down hill where the roots are 5" higher then the leaves.

2 Likes

Just my thought no experience. But I’d think those will need some water. That’s very little soil, it already looks dry, and the plant has leaves. Something is going to “break” between now and March.

1 Like

You can try bananas.org - lots of members there and some have to winterize their bananas as well.

1 Like